Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Default Geez...

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    fencemaker,,, see,,, some wonder why I stir the pot, you never know what interesting ideas come up. It hadnt occured to me to run a small block chevy to run a 200A welder.
    Boy, ain't that the truth... spend $3k on a generator, plus burn 2.5 gallons of LP-per-hour...The whole idea here, is to take a perfectly good, but otherwise low-demand three-phase industrial grade welder, obtained for $75.00 at auction... take an hour to clean it out, change some wiring connections, slap in $20 in two capacitors, two resistors, and six pieces of wire, plus a $15.00 range cord, and be quietly welding 1/2" plate at 100% duty cycle in a residential neighborhood garage before the nightly news... Sheesh...

That or just spend the $3k, on a really nice single phase machine, cause there is lots out there

For 3000 you could do a lot! Buy a used bobcat a suitcase feeder and get good fuel economy! On top of that you can still hear a motor run!

How many have you converted Dave?

I do wonder how many are found for 75$ hough.

I think dave just did it as a challenge. Personally I throw the old CP200's and 300's away. I keep the feeders as they are worth more money than the machine they sit on.

Here they are not hanging from the trees, it would likely be a real effort. I am sure its a worthy hobby and for some guys its ideal but I also think this class of welding equipment is a bargain and cheaper in todays dollars than ever. For John Public, hobby types, small business especially plug and play has never been better, cheaper, more practical. 5 years warranty on some pieces, cost less than some new tv these days, last so long and work so good. Unbox, plug in, weld.

I paid 200 for mine. Welds a lot better than an unbox, plug in, and weld for 200$ machine. Cruzer do you come across a bunch of em. You have no resale value for them?

Zero resale value, worth more in beer money at the salvage yard

I wasn't comparing one to a 200$ new plug and play, obviously that would be more money but comparing it to starting with a 200$ used machine, 20 here, 50 there, days maybe of effort providing the machine didn't have issues to start with, anther 20 for a cord, find some caps, drive to where ever this machine is to pick up, etc. I am also enough of realist to know all this didn't take an hour or 2,,, maybe that to wash and dry if a guy has a pressure washer to start with.
    Ain'tnt long its not a 200$ machine anymore,,, if a guy completes all this. Some people this is a fine idea,,,,,, no problem with that, its the idea that its for everyone and idoesn'tnt always end up such a bargain. I buy used equipment, win some lose some, more than once I have come to the point it would have made sense to buy new.