Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

I am still trying to understand, I have used my 3 phase rotary system on every machine I have tested that was not a combo single or three phase power supply. I have run inverters and transformers and "Goldstars", Plasma mach and others. They all worked. Does it damage the mach over time or are you saying that my success was a fluke.

Default Rotary Converters

Not to diss Cruiser as he is one of the best resources on this forum, but from what I have read the rotary phase converter is the way to go. You don't even have to keep the single phase motor powered once you get the three phase up to speed. The only thing is you need to have a big enough 3 phase motor to supply the current required for the welder. A better option than the single phase motor is to use a capacitive starting unit. There are many new units available from Ebay stores that have the necessary relays and starter capacitors to do a proper conversion available for nearly HP of motor. A digital converter as Cruiser calls it (solid state) uses only a capacitor array to generate the third phase and have to be closely matched to the load, which we all know varies with the load on the welder. check out this link. http://www.usphaseconverterstandards...converters.htm
    I have read of many weld shops that have used rotary phase converters with 100% success.
    Caddi

LOL...As an unfortunate owner of two 45 HP three phase rotary converters because of the unavailability of a three phase power source at my original shop, you are just going to love your power bill. I bought another property in order to get an adequate three phase power source to build our current facilities and saved money doing so...

The power source is a cp 200

1 of the phases is significantly lower than the other 2, on a rotary, and yes your power bill will be astronomical as you have to size the motor 1/3 higher than what the machine draws. honestly to power a 3 phase welder, not worth the investment. Best buy a single phase unit ment for your exsisting power

So now you are saying you can do it regardless of scr but it is going to cost more? If I was runnig a fab shop I would pay for the additional transformer if I was welding in my gargage and could get a welder, 3phase for a few hundred bucks then I wpould build myself a rotary converter.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/Phase-Converters-/41952/i.html you tell me!

Besides this is just my opinion it does not make me wrong.

What size converter do I need?

No, thats sorta what I was saying, having a low phase, and spikes incoured by it will fry a circuit board system

Quote Originally Posted by fencemaker View Post
    What size converter do I need?
    Anything smaller than a 18.6 KW or 25 HP converter and you will run into overload issues when using a cp 200 power source.
    Last edited by Dipsomaniac; 11-07-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: added the word 'and'

Default cp-200

Or you could do what I did and convert the welder. Go back to my first answer and follow the link for the conversion.