Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Lets agree that we both will cut down on RF interference. The fact is I have never seen anything in any manual that says it will in either case establish a better arc or create more HF intensity.

If I have 25 feet of torch, 25 feet of ground, welding on an aluminum boat, ground at the stern weld at the bow And yor are saying twisting my cables together near the welder is going to solve the interference on the radio in
    the shop and give me a better arc and arc start.

Please print this out, get it notorized and I will take it to Boeing, All American Marine, Nichols Boat, Todd shipyard and all the othermarine welders in my territory and on the web- promise.

WeldCraft:
    9. How do I solve high-frequency-interference problems?
    Malfunctioning electrical equipment, such as computers, telephones and radios, is often a sign that you are experiencing high-frequency interference from your welding power source.
    To remedy such high-frequency interference, start by verifying that the power source is grounded according to the installation instructions provided in the operatorís manual. Keep your torch cables and work cables as short as possible, and place them close together. Physically separating your welding equipment from devices that may experience interference is also an option, but doing so can be time-consuming and space-prohibitive.

Lincoln:
    High frequency signals have a tendency to radiate away from the welding area. These signals may cause interference with nearby radio and television reception or other electrical equipment. One method to minimize the radiation of high frequency signals is to ground the welding circuit. The welding machine instruction manual will have specific instructions on how to ground the welding circuit and components in the surrounding area to minimize the radiation effect

Quote Originally Posted by weldbay View Post
    Lets agree that we both will cut down on RF interference. The fact is I have never seen anything in any manual that says it will in either case establish a better arc or create more HF intensity.

If I have 25 feet of torch, 25 feet of ground, welding on an aluminum boat, ground at the stern weld at the bow And yor are saying twisting my cables together near the welder is going to solve the interference on the radio in
    the shop and give me a better arc and arc start.
    This is starting to get no where. Except that Weldbay is starting to look stupid arguing with cruizer at first postings.

Weldbay, you can't give an example for cruizer to explain because it makes no sense. You can't expect a legitimate answer because if you are welding an aluminum boat and you connect the ground to one end and weld on the other and you are having problems, then you should understand that you need to move the connections closer together. And if you want to argue that, lets say the boat was in the middle of the ocean... or you are trying to weld a light bulb fixture to the tip of the tower on the empire state building, and your ground is in the basement.

What happens when your equipment is portable? Are you supposed to stick a ground rod at every job?

Stop trying to keep pushing your "book knowledge" and get out in the field like cruizer and do field tricks.

What happens if your tire gets a hole in it and your stranded in the middle of the desert... You would wait for a tow truck as cruizer and I would stick a nail in the hole and get to the next station. You are both right, but when you are faced with a challenge you need to just get it done.

I sorry his profile says he is a welding tech, and your's is what a home shop welder.

Read this post you tell me:
    T1 Transformer

You want to compare credentials, you want references to the projects I have consulted on or do you want to blow smoke.

I am contributing what I have expeirenced, first hand, if you can not stand another opinion then to bad don't get involved. Until then I will continue to agree where it makes sense and disagree where it does not.

This post ends here you guys can continue to believe whatever.

And you try to keep your ground close to the weld when you are making a deck seam weld on a 110 foot ferry.

And what about the T1 post, the guy had it to a Miller shop for repair, they told him is was a failed T1 transformer, and like I said, that would be a very rare occurance. might be alot of things. Have to remember that You nor I looked at the unit.

As for Boeing and such, I didn't start my life out as a Welder tech, I was doing Avionics/ Aircraft Maintenance Tech for 8 years, rebuilding anything from a small Cessna, Twin Otters to Hercs. Before that I was a Military Mechanic.

And YOU want to compare credentials. you won't even be close....

It is good to see youíve speculated all your moves in context to safety. Make it a point to work on your grounding. This is mainly because proper grounding eliminates most risks associated with high-frequency operations. Ground rods are cheap, but then they are not that reliable. The likelihood of most problems will be considerably reduced when you choose high-quality reliable equipment.