Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default can i weld aluminum with a miller suitcase x-treme 8vs and 12vs?

i currently have a miller "the legend" aead-200le and was thinking of buying one of these suitcase mig guns. The 2012 miller catalog says they do not recommend using AC power sources with this product and i need something to run aluminum wire. Will one of these suitcase welders work? i know to tig weld aluminum HFAC is preffered..... whats the hook up procedure for aluminum mig? AC? DC? Reverse polarity or straight? thanks in advance

jerry

Cool

NO your welder is a CC Constant Current you need a CV Constant Voltage machine so no matter what you hook up it won't work....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    NO your welder is a CC Constant Current you need a CV Constant Voltage machine so no matter what you hook up it won't work....Bob
    The catalog says the suitcase 8rc and 12rc are for cv machines but the suitcase x-treme 8vs and 12vs is a cc/cv compatible machine

thanks again
    jerry

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybigbird View Post
    The catalog says the suitcase 8rc and 12rc are for cv machines but the suitcase x-treme 8vs and 12vs is a cc/cv compatible machine

thanks again
    jerry
    Sorry my bad. I do remember reading that but i don't really know about them. Bob

Cool

So now if the feeder works with your machine you will be welding Aluminum without a spool gun. Thats a whole nuther problem...Bob

Quote Originally Posted by aametalmaster View Post
    So now if the feeder works with your machine you will be welding Aluminum without a spool gun. Thats a whole nuther problem...Bob

actually a guy can buy superglaze er-4043 or er5356 in .030 and .035 diameters by the 1lb, 16lb and 20lb roll. they are both dcep wires.......why would i want a spool gun????????? arguments please
    Last edited by jerrybigbird; 11-03-2012 at 05:21 PM.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by jerrybigbird View Post
    why would i want a spool gun????????? arguments please
    Pushing .030 alum wire in any flavor thru a long mig gun is an art in itself. Ever welded aluminum before? Just wondering....Bob

been welding for about 15 years but i really dont have any experience with aluminum........thats why i showed up here

Extremely difficult to weld AL with a standard mig gun,not that it can't be done. It's just that you'll go through more wire (trash) than the actual weld. I don't recommend it without a spool gun.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Extremely difficult to weld AL with a standard mig gun,not that it can't be done. It's just that you'll go through more wire (trash) than the actual weld. I don't recommend it without a spool gun.

whats it do ??????knot up before it hits the liner?