Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Ceriated vs. Thoriated Tungsten

Does it really matter which you use? I know thorium fumes can be carcinogenic, but does ceriated tungsten do anything different? I've never used it.

I am extremely impressed with your writing skills and also with the layout on your blog.digital cameras price in Pakistan
    Is this a paid theme or did you customize it yourself? Either way keep up the nice quality writing, nikon camera price in Pakistan
    itís rare to see a nice blog like this one these days

FWIW, 2% lanthanated seems to work great for everything. It's not radioactive like thoriated, and it's not much more expensive (on ebay) than ceriated.

Default Ceriated vs. Thoriated Tungsten

Does it matter what type of machine you have when using lanthinated?

Quote Originally Posted by dlonu2005 View Post
    Does it matter what type of machine you have when using lanthinated?
    I don't think so (I use a Syncrowave transformer machine) but check with someone who knows.

I've used both & I can't tell the difference. Been using 2% thor.for 30 years and still cancer free! Just don't use a geiger counter on me!

All I use is 2% thorium. Smooth stable arc and starts great on my dc transformer.
    The fumes are not carcinogenic. It the dust when you dress the tip you have to worry about. However, you stand a greater change of getting cancer from second hand cigarette smoke then you do from grinding or dressing a 2% thoriated tungsten. The ultraviolet light flash from the tig weld arc will give you cancer faster.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Miller Bluestar 2E
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Ironworker Welder
    Operating engineer
    Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

I have found the biggest success with 2% thoriated is that is has a very large usable amp range, so using 3/32 for steel then cleaning/ballsing your tip and doing 1/8 aluminum is possible