Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sounds like you are wanting to be an artist of sorts using metal/welding, etc. as your medium. If so, you need to have some (preferably a LOT) of artistic ability, not just be able to weld, and an "eye" for what is good and what is not.

You may have been born with these artistic abilities, some are, others learn it thru art classes and school curriculum focusing on art. Some never get it. It helps if you can draw.

I am an artist blacksmith and work with a designer. Together we create beautiful things that our clients pay a lot of money for. We only work with high end clients and usually only in $$$ million + homes. Sometimes I make something 3 or 4 times taking days or weeks, often just so she (the designer or client (or both)) can SEE what it will look like. Then changes are made and we proceed.

The point is, what you think is beautiful someone else may not. If your market is a flea market, that is one thing. on the other hand, if you are wanting to REALLY have a business, you have to be able to make something that someone else wants and is willing to pay for. This is not always easy to do, but it is something that can be accomplished, over time.

Rarely will you be instantly recognized as an accomplished artist, metal or otherwise. It takes a commitment - on your part - of time, lots of hard work, some money, and education. Pay attention to the DETAILS!
    Artist Blacksmith
    Historic Downtown
    Paris, Texas
    Dynasty 200dx
    Trailblazer 302
    12VS wire feeder
    Lincoln 215
    Miller Passport
    Miller 375 plasma
    Hossfeld bender
    Antique SA200

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    "I started my business and I was working full time for a steel yard for the first 2 years. Now I am 7 years into it, sometimes I want my old job back.......

And everyone else is right about working everyday for cheap money.
    Ain't that the truth! I've thought about it over the years, and could still go back if I wanted, but just have to remember the reasons I left.[/QUOTE]

Yea I did the job route for about a year and a half. Then the wife started complaining I was working way more to make less or the same. Done 10 hr days and worked the shop on weekends and nights.
    So I went back at it on my own with more resolve. The recession hit....biz got better.
    Son moved home and biz went ballistic with his help. Stuck in that 2 1/2+ man workload with just the 2 of us.
    It helps to find the need in your area before you pull the trigger. We do aluminum exclusively since '97, and it has served me well. That wouldn't work just anywhere, but basically we do almost all boat repair only. The rest is chairs and that type of broken stuff. 99% marine realistically. 99% tig as well.

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX

Default Million Dollar Companies

I see a lot of ppl come to many different forums and ask about starting a business. This is a Welding Forum not a business forum. Now with that said I'm not saying people can't help you and your question is not completely retarded. I will say if your looking to start a great million dollar buisness I can say most of us dont own million dollar companies I'm sure a few select do but overall we just share the same enjoyment of welding. Some make it a hobby some pay their bills with it. If your looking for someone to instantly teach you how to make 150,000$ a year it isnt going to happen. If that could happen we would all be doing it. There are many many factors other than just being good welder to starting a business. If you don't have good people skills and finance skills you will never make it. I have seen good wellders fall and terrible welders succeed because of politics in the work place. I'm not trying to put anyone down, offend or piss on thir dreams but starting a business is not something you learn how to do on a welding forum normally. ESP is the way you asked the question. Next time asking some one what they did and try to gain their experience and learn their mistakes. I'll tell you when I went out on my own and started doing my own work I learned even though i was staying busy and working a lot of hours for high wages I was over investing in my self and ended up throwing a lot of money away.
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Try to make a lot of projects. Let other people judge your work and if they do like it , start the business man .

My thoughts, welding is a skilled labor for many but I have seen "art" work sell for 1000 of dollars because the guy knew how to grind his welding sucked. Sure get a job but if not avaiable buy a light mig welder say a 140 miller. Build a few things, funiture, barbecue, smoker and let your neighbors know you have a welder. Look on line and in stores for design ideas. Know you and your machines limitations and give it a try.

When I posted this my intention was not for someone to tell me how I can get rich, also im not trying to start this business anytime soon. I started welding In highschool and I know that welding wont make me rich. If my questions didn't seem "smart", my intentions were to show that's there is alot I don't know. Just a new welder trying to hear about some of your experiences

Quote Originally Posted by frank414 View Post
    When I posted this my intention was not for someone to tell me how I can get rich, also im not trying to start this business anytime soon. I started welding In highschool and I know that welding wont make me rich. If my questions didn't seem "smart", my intentions were to show that's there is alot I don't know. Just a new welder trying to hear about some of your experiences
    No problem
    That is what this forum is all about!
    Welcome

www.facebook.com/outbackaluminumwelding
    Miller Dynasty 700...OH YEA BABY!!
    MM 350P...PULSE SPRAYIN' MONSTER
    Miller Dynasty 200 DX "Blue Lightning"

Miller Bobcat 225 NT (what I began my present Biz with!)
    Miller 30-A Spoolgun
    Miller WC-115-A
    Miller Spectrum 300
    Miller 225 Thunderbolt (my first machine bought new 1980)
    SPEEDGLAS 9100XX