Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Need advise on starting business

I learned how to arc weld while I was in H.S. while in this program I made many beautiful projects. We focused mainly on furniture. I would love to start my own business selling my designs and making custom furniture. Any ideas on where I should start? What all equipment would I need? Where can I buy metal from? Also if there is any business that would like to start a partneship.

Get a job at a welding shop and learn.

Default starting up

I agree with portable. Get paid to get some experience. It will pay off in the long run. Remember it's not all fun and games on your own
    ARMOR
    MOBILE WELDING&SERVICES
    Trailblazer 302
    X-TREME 12VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Millermatic 135
    WeldCraft WPseries TIG torch
    Smith oxy set.

You might update your profile so those close to you can help you out a wee bit. I started in the garage and worked at it for several years until I was working late each evening and both days on the weekend. I've been at it about 7 years now full time. Be prepared to work at half wages, no vacation, no benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    You might update your profile so those close to you can help you out a wee bit. I started in the garage and worked at it for several years until I was working late each evening and both days on the weekend. I've been at it about 7 years now full time. Be prepared to work at half wages, no vacation, no benefits.
    Sounds about right and still work the weekends and evenings.
    Meltedmetal

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Be prepared to work at half wages, no vacation, no benefits.
    And then there will be dealers with real nice stores in good locations that will say you can put your stuff in my shop as its wonderfull. Then they want 45% of what you sell it for. So now you are selling for 1/2 of what you were. Just my thoughts....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by frank414 View Post
    Also if there is any business that would like to start a partneship.
    I will sell you a turn key buisness complete with tools, equip and products just bring some big trucks and some $$$$$ ...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

You asked too many questions to be able to start your own business at this time. You can't say I want to sell custom made furniture and then ask where do I buy metal from. Business owners that have done it a while like myself know that if you ask a stupid question, you get a stupid answer. Figure things out on your own like opening up the phone book and look under steel/metal suppliers. Compare prices, go to these places.

Things I would do if I were you:

Get a job related to what you want to do and listen to all details.
    Get involved in furniture building forums/listservs.
    Go to local furniture places and get price quotes on related items and learn to understand pricing.
    See if your area even has a demand for custom furniture or will you build it as needed.
    Will you paint/powder coat/anodize/polish yourself? What are those prices if you do it or if you sub it out. Also what state/local regulations are there for doing it yourself.
    Do you have money that you can gamble on?

I started my business and I was working full time for a steel yard for the first 2 years. Now I am 7 years into it, sometimes I want my old job back.......

And everyone else is right about working everyday for cheap money.

"I started my business and I was working full time for a steel yard for the first 2 years. Now I am 7 years into it, sometimes I want my old job back.......

And everyone else is right about working everyday for cheap money.[/QUOTE]

Ain't that the truth! I've thought about it over the years, and could still go back if I wanted, but just have to remember the reasons I left.

Are you single ?? If so, find someone with money, get married, and avoid this work stuff.