Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Default SMAW welds almost completely flat

Hi, im new to the forum but ive been welding for about 3 years now. Started with mig, then tig (which im still learning) and now arc in school. My arc welds with 1/8 6011 rods on 3/16 plate are almost completely flat. Its on 90 amps and even my shop teacher is stumped. My mig welds in class are great but i cant figure this out. Ive been doing a back and forth motion, bracing against the table, good overlap and so so penetration. So i decided to come here for advice, any is appreciated!

Bump

Some pics would probably help so other can see the welds and maybe offer some advise.

Il try and take a pic in shop later.

Default flat weld conture

E6010-11 electrodes produce flat bead contures. The weld is sound as long as there is no:

undercut/fill. overlap, cracks.
    Weld will not look like GMAW, GMAW-S, or GTAW

I knew that the bead contour would be different but when compared to other students welds mine have significantly less height. Unless I turn it down to 75w but then its not wide enough or good enough penetration for my teacher to even test it.

Cool

Are you holding the rod at the same angle as everyone else? Holding at closer to 90 degrees make a taller rod and holding close to a 45 makes a flatter wider bead. Just wondering....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

I hold around an 55/60. Il try a 90 on monday. I wasn't able to get a pic today sadly.

6010 is a high penetration rod and doesn't build up much. It's typically only used for root passes and some joints so you really don't need to have much build up. Mine are extremely flat. The bead only sticks up like 1/16" and that is with plenty of reinforcement to withstand a break test.

A great article written with great hard work...i must say....Thanks for posting this article.canon camera prices in Pakistan
    I am definitely tired of struggling to find relevant and intelligent commentary on this subject.sony camera prices in Pakistan
    Everyone nowadays seem to go to extremes to either drive home their viewpoint or suggest that everybody else in the globe is wrong. Thanks for your concise and relevant insight a great work of your which shows...I like your site its quite informative and i would like to come here again as i get some time from my studies. i would like to invite my other friends to this site, as you have done a great job.i must say...keep it up guys..Thanks for the information.I apriciate each and every point of your article.Really great information .Keep sharing ..Well done