Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default AEAD-200le auto idle / hertz issues

i recently purchased a nice old aead-200le. after a little tlc, the motor runs great, puts out 120v at the the front 60hz outlets when checked with my hertz meter, but it seems to jump to 108hz or so once and awhile. On another note it idles up when the auto idle switch is thrown, but never idles back down. i have read some similar posts on here but haven't quite gotten it figured out yet, i have the owners manual but no technical manual yet.

thanks in advance for any suggestions.

There is one plug that runs in at 100 hz that can be used while welding high idle,

The other 2 are are for low idle at 60HZ

I have the same problem with mine. I have just been welding with it at high idle. I just have to hit the switch for it to idle down. Im probly gona replace the idle control board if i can find one

Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post
    I have the same problem with mine. I have just been welding with it at high idle. I just have to hit the switch for it to idle down. Im probly gona replace the idle control board if i can find one

Tthat or replace the 2 little 8 amp 200 volt TO220 SCRs on the idle board....

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer:295682
    Quote Originally Posted by weldonwelding View Post

Tthat or replace the 2 little 8 amp 200 volt TO220 SCRs on the idle board....

Where would i find those?

I have read some other threads on the pc1 board being the fault, i may try the replacement of the parts cruizer suggests, just have to find out where to get the parts. Anyone ever see a technical service manual for one of these? seems like a good reliable machine. I have checked the hertz coming out of the dual 60hz sockets and that is where i get the fluctuations from 58hz to 108hz. i have checked the rpms to make sure it is at 1850, just don't want to burn up any sensitive equipment. thanks

Remove right side cover, you'll see a couple of boards, your after the front one (towards the front panel), Inside the fingered square heat sink there is 2 scrs. these are the ones to replace to get your auto idle back working again.

I tend to replace them with: 2 of 10 amp 250 volt TO220 package SCR, you can get them from Digikey, or Newark.

You'll need a soldering gun, some electrical solder, and a small roll of solder wick to remove the old solder.

Default help with my 25 year old aead 200le

Cruizer, can you check diodes with an ohm meter to see if funtioning properly? Thank you Cody

Cruizer that is exactly the info i was hoping to find. I was having a hard time locating the stock 8.5a scr's, i was thinking 10a would work well.
    I repaired an old Roughneck 1E from some info i saw on this forum as well, soldered in new diodes.
    I appreciate all the advice guys.

Default update

Got the 2 new scr's and installed. Unit will idle up when a load is applied, but still no idle down when the load is off. Anyone know of a way to troubleshoot my idle control board, or am I doomed to by an upgrade board unit?