Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default purging stainless pipe

What have you used to make purging attachments for 2 inch stainless pipe. I teach at a career center and don't want to spend the money on manufactured purge parts if I can make something to teach with.

In the union hall foil tape is used and it does a good job, if you are talking short coupons

Take a regulator off a machine your not using along with its hose, stick the hose in the pipe, and seal it off ( Foil tape will work ) Then cap the opposite end and put a hole in the cap about the size of your purge hose and keep it flowing while you weld.

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    Take a regulator off a machine your not using along with its hose, stick the hose in the pipe, and seal it off ( Foil tape will work ) Then cap the opposite end and put a hole in the cap about the size of your purge hose and keep it flowing while you weld.
    How many cfh is recommended?
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Basically what Portable Welder said.......You can also use a splitter off one bottle with valve at end of purge hose. Set flowmeter at 30 cfh, open purge valve to flood coupon (5-10 seconds), back off purge valve to minimum flow, weld away (experiment). Should have no problem using good quality masking tape. Note...I also tape around bottom of coupon to jig before welding.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by OldSparks; 11-02-2012 at 04:37 PM.

The bigger the pipe the more cfm needed to get the carbon dioxide out, once the pipe is full of purge gas you can back it down to approx. 15-20, If its 1-1/2" pipe or less I would back it down a little more.

Purging is not something I do all the time so there may be others that can give you better advise.

Most of my purging is to evacuate explosive fumes out of a pipe or tank verses needing it for welding.