Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default What should i do as a beginner welder, any suggestions?

Im going to be graduating my 6 week welding course next week because it is a 6 week program. i get a certificate 210 hours complete. They trained me in SMAW, GMAW Pulse and Spray, FCAW, AND GTAW. If you want specifics. SMAW 3G And 4g, FCAW 3G and 4g, GMAW-Pulse 3g and 4g, GMAW-Spray 2g! I was not trained by some random backyard school. These were really good professionally experience welders who been welders for over over 30 years and they worked for the government and worked under AWS and Military standards because they worked for Electric Boat.My teachers taught me about distortion control, the jewels formula and how to read blue prints and identify welding symbols and etc! I mean i have enough experience to go get a job. I can get certified through the school them all i do is have to pay the money for it.

But im feeling like i want more training just because i want more training. I want to learn more. I don't know if i should go to college or what! Can anyone steer me in the right direction please?

Well i finished basically the 6 week course is 3 weeks 2 days and ive just been working on TIG because they have no test for that. And next week there going to teach me some SMAW pipe welding 6g because i asked for it!
    Last edited by WelderNM; 11-01-2012 at 07:06 PM.

I would definitely take the college class. I'm in it right now after a year of the high school class in my area and my welding has improved incredibly. The instructors that are with you for a year or two will not just teach but perfect your welds and show you some tricks to getting things to do what you want.

Cool

Practice your fitting skills also. I would much rather fit than stand there and weld for 10 hours a day. Just my thoughts...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Quote Originally Posted by WelderNM View Post
    Im going to be graduating my 6 week welding course next week because it is a 6 week program. i get a certificate 210 hours complete. They trained me in SMAW, GMAW Pulse and Spray, FCAW, AND GTAW. If you want specifics. SMAW 3G And 4g, FCAW 3G and 4g, GMAW-Pulse 3g and 4g, GMAW-Spray 2g! I was not trained by some random backyard school. These were really good professionally experience welders who been welders for over over 30 years and they worked for the government and worked under AWS and Military standards because they worked for Electric Boat.My teachers taught me about distortion control, the jewels formula and how to read blue prints and identify welding symbols and etc! I mean i have enough experience to go get a job. I can get certified through the school them all i do is have to pay the money for it.

But im feeling like i want more training just because i want more training. I want to learn more. I don't know if i should go to college or what! Can anyone steer me in the right direction please?

Well i finished basically the 6 week course is 3 weeks 2 days and ive just been working on TIG because they have no test for that. And next week there going to teach me some SMAW pipe welding 6g because i asked for it!
    Might want to study up on that jewels ( joules ) formula a little bit.

Griff

Cool

The most important thing and i see people get fired for it every day. Don't do drugs and make sure you can get up in the morning without being late. Companies don't care if you are the best they have ever seen and have a pretty truck you will be gone. I see it everyday 8 guys in and 7 guys out every week...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default go to school

Join a union school they will get you a job in welding while you are going to school for it. Make money while you learn.