Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Face Mask Sizing

Want to order one of these masks but it comes in three sizes. How the heck does one know what size face mask to wear? :-)

3M 6300 Half Facepiece Respirator

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2RDL822XCIA3R
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

Hey I have about 50 North resp. they are adjustable by 3 straps and to my knowledge one size fits all. Get a north it might be more money but its the industry standard. There are about 5 halfmask models that are all really similar I think I have a 4500 in my bag. If you live by me id just give you half a dozen
    Never Satisfied

Millermatic 211
    Maxstar 150STL
    Metabos
    Kennedy Maintenance Pro Full
    Makita Cordless 18v Li-Ion
    Stihl TS 420

Timfrank88@live.com

Default 3m respirators are very good.

Hello , I see you were inquiring about the 3m masks, Unless your face is very small and narrow you probably wont need a small, I have been fit tested in the medium and the large, and depending on how tight you tension the straps you could potentially fit either size. It all depends on the width or your face , chin and cheekbone structure. I would recommend spending a few extra bucks and get a 7500 hundred series mask though. The Face cup on the 6300 is hard plastic with a rubber edged cup , which i had a skin reaction to, and found the hard cup hurt my nose. The 7500 is blue silicone with only the actual filter attach points and the strap holders being hard plastic. They are way more comfortable and mostly hypo allergenic. They are forgiving in terms of sealing if your not freshly clean shaven, but if your gonna wear the mask you should be trimmed close. For what the base mask costs, you could buy one of each and try them yourself if you cant get fit tested. I have used them everyday for years, and i think they are more of the industry standard, but im not gonna argue. if your welding get the pink 2097 pancake filters and you should be good to go for most uses, and it fits under most common welding helmets. If you work for a company , you could see if they will cover the costs to provide, and maybe get you fit tested.They are pretty cheap to get , and you shouldnt have any health issues down the road.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Quote Originally Posted by sturugged View Post
    Hello , I see you were inquiring about the 3m masks, Unless your face is very small and narrow you probably wont need a small, I have been fit tested in the medium and the large, and depending on how tight you tension the straps you could potentially fit either size. It all depends on the width or your face , chin and cheekbone structure. I would recommend spending a few extra bucks and get a 7500 hundred series mask though. The Face cup on the 6300 is hard plastic with a rubber edged cup , which i had a skin reaction to, and found the hard cup hurt my nose. The 7500 is blue silicone with only the actual filter attach points and the strap holders being hard plastic. They are way more comfortable and mostly hypo allergenic. They are forgiving in terms of sealing if your not freshly clean shaven, but if your gonna wear the mask you should be trimmed close. For what the base mask costs, you could buy one of each and try them yourself if you cant get fit tested. I have used them everyday for years, and i think they are more of the industry standard, but im not gonna argue. if your welding get the pink 2097 pancake filters and you should be good to go for most uses, and it fits under most common welding helmets. If you work for a company , you could see if they will cover the costs to provide, and maybe get you fit tested.They are pretty cheap to get , and you shouldnt have any health issues down the road.
    I'll second this, not much more to add and good overall advice.

I personally wear a large but I have a rather large melon. (My welding lid headband is alsmost maxed out!) The perferable method would be try them before you buy but if your guessing the medium would be your best bet to start with. Personally the North does fit me at all, but everyone is different.
    Dynasty 200DX, first generation
    Makita 5" grinder
    Makita 14" abrasive saw
    IR SS5L compressor
    Whole bunch of hand/air tools.
    and a wish list a mile long