Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question New Dynasty 200 DX owner - a setup question...

I upgraded my 3 yr old Diversion 165 for a Dynasty - primarily for the pulse capability. I read through the owners manual (downloaded from the web site) while the machine was en-route on the Big Brown truck. I also watched Brent Williams' set-up and operation video a couple of times. I have most things configured enough to get started except for one SIMPLE thing - the post flow.

In the video, using a Dynasty 350, Brent sets the post flow to "AUTO". Can anyone tell me if there is an AUTO setting on the Dynasty 200? I can not find it. I have submitted a tech support request via the web site but have not heard back yet. The entry level Diversion had this feature. I would hope that a top of the line machine costing more than twice as much would as well.

Thanks,

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by taylorkh View Post
    I upgraded my 3 yr old Diversion 165 for a Dynasty - primarily for the pulse capability. I read through the owners manual (downloaded from the web site) while the machine was en-route on the Big Brown truck. I also watched Brent Williams' set-up and operation video a couple of times. I have most things configured enough to get started except for one SIMPLE thing - the post flow.

In the video, using a Dynasty 350, Brent sets the post flow to "AUTO". Can anyone tell me if there is an AUTO setting on the Dynasty 200? I can not find it. I have submitted a tech support request via the web site but have not heard back yet. The entry level Diversion had this feature. I would hope that a top of the line machine costing more than twice as much would as well.

Thanks,

Ken
    Section 5-12 .....
    OM-2240 Page 33
    5-12. Adjust Controls (Preflow/Post Flow/DIG/Purge)
    1 Adjust
    Press switch pad until desired function
    LED is illuminated.
    2 Encoder Control
    3 Ammeter
    Turn encoder to set appropriate value for
    active Adjust parameter.

AUTO POST FLOW - Creates a post
    flow time scaled at 1 second per 10 amps
    amps of the peak weld amperage for a
    given weld cycle. Auto post flow is limited
    to an 8 second minimum, or to the maximum
    preset post flow time.
    Application:
    Postflow is required to cool tungsten and
    weld, and to prevent contamination of
    tungsten and weld. Increase postflow
    time if tungsten or weld are dark in appearance.
    DIG - If the Stick process is active

Griff

Thanks Griff,

However, the manual (dated 2010-10) which came with the machine does not contain the text about AUTO POST FLOW. The manual on-line which I believe you quoted is dated 2012-02. Makes me wonder what the date of manufacture is. I will call Miller tomorrow and find out.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by taylorkh View Post
    Thanks Griff,

However, the manual (dated 2010-10) which came with the machine does not contain the text about AUTO POST FLOW. The manual on-line which I believe you quoted is dated 2012-02. Makes me wonder what the date of manufacture is. I will call Miller tomorrow and find out.

Ken
    Go to the resources tab on this site. Miller provides a table that shows the dob according to the s/n.
    Also, type in your s/n and you get the manual for that specific machine.

Griff

And again Griff, thank you for your insightful reply. I did indeed check the serial number table per you suggestion. The machine was made in 2011. Based on the serial number the web site provided the same 2010-10 manual as I had received in printed copy.

I spoke with a Miller tech support person this AM. He told me that Auto post flow was only provided on "low end" machines. I pointed out that the Dynasty setup video (on the site and shipped on DVD with the machine) showed this feature on a Dynasty 350 DX. Quite a high dollar low end machine

He assured me that auto post flow was NOT a feature on the 200 DX and that no features had been added to the machine in the past year so that my machine should be "current" as far as features go. I guess I will have to compare the old and new owners manuals page by page as a double check.

He also told me that the noise the machine make when powered on is normal. Having to do with the voltage stepup circuitry. (The machine) sounds like a bag full of bobcats to me

Ken

p.s. After all this I guess I should say that I never liked the auto post flow on the Diversion. Especially when doing tacks or other small welds. The material, the tungsten and a beer would all be cooled down before the thing ever cut off. Still, the manual and the video implied that the feature should be there...