Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Wood fire grate help please.

We have a wood fire grate that needs to be bigger, it has also warped and the wire mesh on the top over the bars has melted away, well it looks like that.
    So my question is when I go to the steel yard tomorrow, is there any type of steel I should be asking for. I have been looking at images on Google for ideas and have come up with a combination of three. I obviously want to make a longer lasting grate than this Lowes type purchase one that has only lasted about four years.
    Thank you for any input in advance.
    Cheers,
    James.

Cool

I have been building grates for wood burners since '77. I would make it from no less than 3/4" sq bar or cast iron storm grates if you can find them. Plus you must have airflow up thru them to keep from burning out so quick. Some people let the ashes build up above the grate. Just my thoughts....Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Your talking about a shield in front of the fireplace, right? Not the wood rack.

I agree with Bob. As far as wood fires go cast iron rules but cast or steel if you don't keep the ashes clear of the grate it will get cooked into scrap. Not even good scrap at that. What kind of burner is it and what sort of dimensions are you looking for?
    Meltedmetal

Steel lasts a long time if its heavy enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Meltedmetal View Post
    if you don't keep the ashes clear of the grate it will get cooked into scrap.
    ...or vaporized.

A few years ago I made a fireplace grate using 1"x1" ms bar, flame bent for the frame and legs. For the cross pieces used six 1 1/8" ms round stock and used 7/8" ms round stock welded to their ends and flame bent up to form a basket (longest on the front side). With about 150 oak wood fires a year for five years (that's about 10 cords), I haven't seen appreciable loss of material on the 1 1/8" round stock which takes the brunt of the heating. This was after going through 3 commercially available grates over 15 years. Good luck
    Miller XMT-350 CC/CV
    Miller S-22A wirefeeder
    Bernard 400A "Q" gun
    Miller 30-A Spoolmatic w/WC-24
    CK 210 & WP-18 GTAW torches
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    O/A Rig, Enco 4x6 bandsaw, etc.

threw one together with some 3/4 rebar (cheap, had some laying around) and muss have done something right, it is still used daily during the winter and close to thirteen years.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by rpmgroup View Post
    threw one together with some 3/4 rebar (cheap, had some laying around) and muss have done something right, it is still used daily during the winter and close to thirteen years.
    Rebar would be perfect for a grate esp the 3/4" stuff. Lots of carbon in it so i will last a while...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default Me too...

Quote Originally Posted by rpmgroup View Post
    Did the same with what the previous owner left behind...
    MillerMatic 211 Auto-set w/MVP
    Just For Home Projects.