Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    They both will work good to keep you going, Which ever one your looking at choose the one with more watts.

Admweld, I just had my friends wife over for a birthday party and her husband which is a friend of mine is a pipeliner and was working in Massachussets so they stayed out there for the summer and she was telling us how they tax you on everything, cars, campers etc.

Good luck.
    Oh ya good ol taxachussetts.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

I have bobcat 225 Subaru engine I would think gr and neutral are bonded so if I use it with a transfer switch I would be bonded in 2 places . I'm trying to figure out how to get around that. Right now if something happens I'm just going to use extension cords

Quote Originally Posted by Kpack View Post
    I have bobcat 225 Subaru engine I would think gr and neutral are bonded so if I use it with a transfer switch I would be bonded in 2 places . I'm trying to figure out how to get around that. Right now if something happens I'm just going to use extension cords
    And why wouldn't you use the 230 for the transfer switch. Makes more sence to me....

The electrician is going to wire the transfer switch into the mains anyways.
    Last edited by cruizer; 10-29-2012 at 07:10 PM.

If I need to make a seperate thread tell me. http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/...filter=noflash this is what I have made up right now with a long #6 soo cord to come from 50 amp plug on welder and then run extension cords off of it. I was thinking about a interlock for than main breaker and 50 amp breaker with a inlet reseptical so I could could run my #6 soo cord and plug into inlet because there's a couple of breakers I sure need to run. From what I understand with the interlock you would only be switching the hots . So that comes into play on gr and neutral bond in the breaker box and the welder at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Are you guys just running extension cords? Or do you have some patch panel that plugs into your main power breaker?
    Kvwall,
    I have two generators one is a 5.5 kw generator and the other is a Bobcat 225 NT. I have the Bobcat wired to a transfer-switch and the smaller generator uses heavy extension cords. I never run things like the fridge or freezer continuously to conserve fuel. One thing to remember when using your generators is to secure them. We had a huge ice storm here one year and the power was out for around seven days or so. Many people had their generators stolen, sad but true.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Kpack View Post
    If I need to make a seperate thread tell me. http://s1073.photobucket.com/albums/...filter=noflash this is what I have made up right now with a long #6 soo cord to come from 50 amp plug on welder and then run extension cords off of it. I was thinking about a interlock for than main breaker and 50 amp breaker with a inlet reseptical so I could could run my #6 soo cord and plug into inlet because there's a couple of breakers I sure need to run. From what I understand with the interlock you would only be switching the hots . So that comes into play on gr and neutral bond in the breaker box and the welder at the same time.
    You should just go to your local home depot and buy a manual transfer switch. With all the money you have in cords and receptacles, you could almost buy a transfer switch. I bought one and it took me about an hour to hook everything up. I can run 60 amps of 120v power from my 8000w generac generator to my panel and power practically everything in my house except my A/C which is 240v.

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...&storeId=10051
    Last edited by jpence38; 10-30-2012 at 12:00 PM.
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus
    Spoolmate 100
    Hypertherm Powermax 45 and 85
    Ingersoll Rand Engine Driven Compressor
    Dake 75 ton H-Frame Press
    JD Squared Model 32 Bender
    Miller Digital Elite

Yea jpence your right but I can use it to run a plasma cutter or mig or electric welder if I need to. Back to the transfer switch any of them are good and I know how they work I'm worried about my welder if the gr and neutral are bonded on welder and breaker box those gentrans only switch the 2 hots which is fine but I don't want to mess my welder up . Or is that something y'all wouldn't worry about.

FOR the record - I could care LESS if my thread gets hijacked guys. Glad for the discussion. take it in any useful direction you need...I'll read it and be happy.....thx

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    FOR the record - I could care LESS if my thread gets hijacked guys. Glad for the discussion. take it in any useful direction you need...I'll read it and be happy.....thx
    Oops....I just got into the thread, I didn't mean to stray from the topic. Now back to your question....I have a Bobcat 225 that works as a great backup generator.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    I also have used my Trailblazer a few times to power my house. It will easily power 75 amps on the 120v side. As long as you have the proper extension cords.

Back to the hijacking of the thread.

That is how it tends to be when you post a question and then wait 2 days and 15 answers later to post a response. Not busting your balls, just sayin'
    JIM

Owner Operator of JNT Mobile Welding & Repair LLC
    Millermatic 350P Aluma Pro
    Dynasty 200DX
    Maxstar 150 STL
    Trailblazer 302
    Suitecase 12RC
    Extreme 12VS
    Extreme 8VS
    Spoolmatic 30A
    Miller HF251D-1
    Passport Plus