Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Trailblazer vs Bobcat - seconding as backup generator for home anyone?

Hi,

Curious - anyone here use their trailblazer or bobcat as a home generator when there is a loss of power? or just to power 'other' tools on their worksite/workshop? Either one of these advantageous over the other for 'that' means - that is to serve as a home generator in power outages to power a fridge or two, internet, furnace etc.?

john

Default Ca

Here in CA the power is out a lot in my area.
    My Tb 302 does just fine for everything in the houses (2).
    It does not have the capacity to run the houses and the water well.
    I'll have to look into cut back on some breakers and see if it will run the well.
    Good Luck,
    Bob
    Millermatic 252 w/30A
    Big Blue Air Pak
    Ellis 3000 Band Saw
    Trailblazer 302 Air Pak w/ Wireless Remote
    8-RC
    Dynasty 200 DX
    XMT 350 MPa w/S-74 MPa Plus
    Millermatic 211
    Passport Plus
    Spectrum 625 X-TREME
    Lincoln SA-200 Blue Tint Red Face '63
    2-Lincoln SA-200 Red Face '68
    SA-200 Black Face '59
    SA-200 Green Lite '84
    SA-200 Green Lite '80
    SA-200 Red Face '69
    SA-200 Red Face '66
    SA-200 Green Lite '81
    '70 Black Face Round Barrel

Just brought my tb300d home getting ready for sandys arrival here in mass tommorrow.Will run my fridge and some lights so my food wont spoil.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

They both will work good to keep you going, Which ever one your looking at choose the one with more watts.

Admweld, I just had my friends wife over for a birthday party and her husband which is a friend of mine is a pipeliner and was working in Massachussets so they stayed out there for the summer and she was telling us how they tax you on everything, cars, campers etc.

Good luck.

My 302 will run the well, refrigerator, freezer, gas furnace , and lights. No issues.
    You just don't want everything starting at the same time.
    Remember, it may burn about gallon a hour at full load.

Default Fuel & Taxes

Fuel consumption as BD1 mentioned is a concern. For a short power outage it really doesn't matter much but for an extended outage fuel costs can really add up. In 1998 we were 21 days without power in mid-winter. One of my neighbors was running a 70 cow dairy herd, power part time for three houses and his heifer barn. He used a 40 kw generator on a 100 hp tractor running over 20 hours a day burning 100+ gallons of diesel per day. Makes the utility prices look like peanuts. I used a 1.8 kw generator alternately powering my oil furnace, 2 refrigerators and 2 freezers, and a small water pump burning less than a gallon per day. I didn't have much else to do but move extension cords and draw water and feed for my 30 head of beef. Our regular business had to close without power for 3 weeks. Point-imho-size the equipment to the job and be realistic about what your needs are as opposed to your wants. Most any of the welder/generator units will provide what you need. How much your are prepared to pay for what you want is up to you.
    And taxes, hah, we pay about 15.5 percent on almost everything goods and services(labor).
    Everything from a bag of chips to a new house bought from a builder but oh we love our government.
    Meltedmetal

Quote Originally Posted by Portable Welder View Post
    They both will work good to keep you going, Which ever one your looking at choose the one with more watts.

Admweld, I just had my friends wife over for a birthday party and her husband which is a friend of mine is a pipeliner and was working in Massachussets so they stayed out there for the summer and she was telling us how they tax you on everything, cars, campers etc.

Good luck.
    Oh ya good ol taxachussetts.
    BB402D
    TB300D
    DIMENSION652
    MM250X
    MAXSTAR140
    S-32 FEEDER W/1260 IRONMATE FC/GUN
    HT/PWR-MAX1250 PLASMA

I have bobcat 225 Subaru engine I would think gr and neutral are bonded so if I use it with a transfer switch I would be bonded in 2 places . I'm trying to figure out how to get around that. Right now if something happens I'm just going to use extension cords