Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New to Tig and new to Miller. Any tips?

I recently purchased a diversion 180 and i think it will do everything i need it to do. I am new to Tig welding and i am new to welding with a proper welder not the 80$ from pep boys. So i probably have some bad habits that i gained from fighting the cheap wire flux welder.

Any tips or tricks will be greatly appreciated. Before tackling the welding cart, i played around on aluminum and was having an awful time.

ae5006608cac11e28ef622000a1fa434_7.jpg

ccf72d5a8cac11e2a61a22000a9e06f0_7.jpg

37f493d8902011e2a0fd22000aa8039a_7.jpg

29a8e052902211e2b6f822000a1f8cdf_7.jpg

30cb09d0902411e28b9f22000a9e0708_7.jpg

It looks like i can only attach 5 pictures per post so i guess ill keep this thread as a log
    Last edited by euro2fast4u; 04-08-2013 at 01:18 PM.

also installed the 250v plug for the welder to get that extra amperage when the time comes lol

What a great machine.
    Looks like your aluminium welding is coming along nicely.
    Every new welder starts that way.
    Let us know what all your settings are, filler, and torch sizes and we can help.
    Aluminium is fun to weld when you get to know it abit better.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Those beads don't look that bad for first beads. You just need to work on your rhythm of feeding filler and torch movement. You will improve, all it takes is practice.

Quote Originally Posted by Jigantor View Post
    What a great machine.
    Looks like your aluminium welding is coming along nicely.
    Every new welder starts that way.
    Let us know what all your settings are, filler, and torch sizes and we can help.
    Aluminium is fun to weld when you get to know it abit better.

Ji
    Thanks jig,

Since its a diversion 180 im not sure what settings you mean? its set to AC, and the amp is by the chart on the machine. Tungsten was at first the wrong one i was using 2% thoriated and not the pure tung. So the first ones were me fighting that. all have been 3/32" for both tung and filler rod.

I gotta practice more on my aluminum but i have been welding up my cart for the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckS View Post
    Those beads don't look that bad for first beads. You just need to work on your rhythm of feeding filler and torch movement. You will improve, all it takes is practice.
    Thats exactly it i dont seem to be consistent.

btw heres some new pictures

I cant wait to start building turbo manifolds and intake manifolds

btw heres a video of my 87 bmw with a baby turbo on it

again any comments or tips are greatly appreciated!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mrbNm08LdLY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdgxMMIOgk4

Try a sharpened 2% lanthinated tungsten. The tungsten and filler rod size is correct for practice. Gas you are using, gas flow?
    Are you cleaning the surface of your practise coupon to remove oxide?
    What type of Ali is the coupon?
    What type of filler are you using?

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Try a sharpened 2% lanthinated tungsten. The tungsten and filler rod size is correct for practice. Gas you are using, gas flow?
    Are you cleaning the surface of your practise coupon to remove oxide?
    What type of Ali is the coupon?
    What type of filler are you using?

Ji

Ill keep the lanthinated in mind, just bought 20 tung (10 each) so i kinda wanna hold off on that.

Im using straight argon between 12-20 cfm depending on what im doing trying to save a little gas on somethings.

i have a ss brush for each material to clean.

Ali idk what ever the store had, and filler i forget i will have to check tonight when i finish up the cart.

That should be CFH not cfm.
    What size torch ?

Always ask your supplier what series the ali is as 2000 series is not easy to weld try and get 5000 or 6000 if you can.

The ali is clean when it shines not that grey look.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

That should be CFH not cfm.
    What size torch ?

Always ask your supplier what series the ali is as 2000 series is not easy to weld try and get 5000 or 6000 if you can.

The ali is clean when it shines not that grey look.

Ji
    sorry you are correct it is CFH, its a size 7.

I asked the supplier what is a good filler for practice and he recommended this one.

Should i wipe the ali with some acetone before welding?