Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trailblazer 302

Default Trailblazer 302

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to the forum. I've been a Journeyman Welder for 10 years now. I have always been a shop welder. I'm now looking to expand my business outside my shop walls. I am looking at portable units now. I have found a really new(52hrs) Trailblazer 302 gas. I was wondering if anyone out there has anything bad to say about these machines. I really don't know much about engine driven welders, so I wanted to hear what you guys have to say about it. What to look for etc.
    Thank you in advance for your time.

I own one and love it

Excellent machine. Mine has the Subaru in it. What engine ?? I would stay with Kohler or Subaru. Not sure if the 302 used a Onan , but parts are getting hard to get from what I read for Onan.
    The generator part is awesome. I can run all the necessities in my house with it. Not sure on fuel consumption, but I would say you could figure almost a gallon a hour.

Quote Originally Posted by beamwalker View Post
    I own one and love it
    Same here.
    Trailblazer 302
    Lincoln SP-135-T
    Hobart Stickmate AC/DC
    Smith torch
    Spoolmatic 30A

Quote Originally Posted by BD1 View Post
    Excellent machine. Mine has the Subaru in it. What engine ?? I would stay with Kohler or Subaru. Not sure if the 302 used a Onan , but parts are getting hard to get from what I read for Onan.
    The generator part is awesome. I can run all the necessities in my house with it. Not sure on fuel consumption, but I would say you could figure almost a gallon a hour.
    huh, that ONAN was picked up by Subaru, and that Subaru was picked up by Cummins now. Same engine, Same parts....

Default guess it depends on what kind of work you are looking to do.

I have a TB 302 with the Subaru, i love this machine as well, it is excellent for lots of different stuff, Stick , MIG and TIG on carbon, stainless or aluminum. It also have a strong generator if you need it. With some attachments it can do just about anything you could throw at it. its kinda a swiss army knife type machine. If i was running day in/out id look to a diesel though, probly the pro 300 or 350 pipepro in the blue ones or the Vantage series if you like the red ones.
    I have a welding addiction

...the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    huh, that ONAN was picked up by Subaru, and that Subaru was picked up by Cummins now. Same engine, Same parts....
    Wow, I never heard this before. I thought Subaru was a complete different
    manufacture. When did Miller start with the Subaru ? Just curious.

1920 - Onan started in business.
    1925 - They purchased 25 model FE engines from Briggs & Stratton.
    1927 - They built a ten light generator.
    1930 - The first engine was built.
    1932 - The first Gen Set was produced.
    During World War II, Onan supplied 85% of the military generators.
    1946 - The Onan Corporation was formed.
    1960s - Studebaker purchased Onan and introduced the J series air-cooled engine.
    1975 - Hawker Siddeley bought 33% of Onan.
    1979 - McGraw Edison bought 67% of Onan from Studebaker.
    1985 - Onan now has 92.3% of the Recreational Vehicle market.
    1986 - Cummins Engine Co begins the acquisition of Onan Corp.
    1992 - Cummins Engine Co completes the acquisition of Onan Corp.
    1997 - Onan closes its Huntsville engine manufacturing plant and sells their tooling and technology to Linamar Corp of Canada.
    1997 - Linamar starts producing Performer and Elite engines for Onan in a new plant in Guelph, Ontario.
    2000 - Onan contracts with Fuji/Robin to manufacture their OHV EH64 Horizintal V-twin engine for Onan for the welder industry.
    2003 - Linamar stops producing Performer engines for Onan and Onan exits the small gasoline engine business.
    2004 - Fuji/Robin stops making Onan branded engines for the welder market and transitions to making Suburu/Robin engines for the welder industry.
    2005 - Linamar stops producing two cylinder Performer engines sold under the Linamar name. 2007 - Onan changes it name and Logo to Cummins Onan
    Last edited by cruizer; 10-23-2012 at 06:19 PM.

I love mine too. But I'd rather have a TB325 Air-Pak if/when they make one. Just for the things it can do at idle.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Have one and i love it, but there is a new TB325 i would take a look at it before i purchase the TB302.