Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: MM 350p issues

Default MM 350p issues

I recently purchased a new 350p, the same machine I used for years in a fab shop. I am now set up on my own and having an issue. I am welding pulse aluminum, something I am very used to and normally very good at. It is blowing holes right through the material, really gouging into 1/2" plate, leaving black ugly blobs all over the place, toes are not wetting out, it almost seems like there's arc blow or something similar. On 1/8" plate it welds OK, not super but passable. Running at 310, like the manual advises, although I used to run at 360-380 for the same material. As soon as I crank it up to weld anything thicker than 1/4" those problems start happening. I have switched gas bottles in case it was contaminated (wasn't), have changed to a new plugin, fiddled around with all settings and gas flow, nothing's working. Would the fact I am running 230v single phase but am plugged in to 240v be an issue? Any other ideas? Using 100%argon, 4043 0.35 wire (also tried 5356, no better), material is always clean.

Are you using a spool gun or pushpull? Did you pull a reset? I reset mine if I notice some glitches.

Dynasty 200 DX
    Diversion 180 (FOR SALE)
    Millermatic 350P, XR-Aluma-Pro
    30A Spoolgun
    Lincoln Pro Mig 140
    Hypertherm Powermax 30
    14" Rage Evolution 360
    40 ton press brake
    Shop full of tools

Well, are you preheating the plate, 1/2" is pretty heavy not to preheat, added to it that your wire speed is way slow, gotta crank that unit to near the max around the 750 in/min mark. Not realy sure why your even running with pulse, simple spray would be much better, as well as changing your wire to a 045.

Never the less, your not going to be welding much over 3/8" with no preheat.

I'm using a 30a spoolgun. I've tried taking it off pulse. And I'm not only welding heavy stuff, I'm trying to lay a decent bead on anything. In the past I've always kept it on pulse no matter what thickness I was welding, and have never had a problem like this.

Your not being goofy and have the spoolgun in the wrong polarity are you

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Your not being goofy and have the spoolgun in the wrong polarity are you
    That's exactly what it seems like the problem would be. I wish that was all it was!

Anyways, usually out of the box, pull a reset on the machine.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Anyways, usually out of the box, pull a reset on the machine.
    Reset done, no luck.

The only thing I can think of is operator error, as these machines are very error sensitive and will pull an error code on the slightest internal problem. Maybe wrong gas?