Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Post Figured out my welding career plan!

You may have read my other thread down below. and i want to say thank you for the advice everyone =]. I figured out my career plan. So my class is not 3months long its only 6 weeks long. But ill be finished by later this week beginning of next week. And then im going to get certified for stick welding 3g and 4g,Flux 3g and 4g, and GMAW Spray 3g through American Welding Society. And Then i am going to learn how to do underwater welding for 5months, then go learn how to pipe weld and find a part time job in the meantime and then try and qualify to work for the government.

I appreciate every ones opinions and i really think i have what it takes to be a good welder. I know you guys said having a good hand does not cut the slip but i still think having a good hand is a big plus because its less to worry about and it would make pipe welding lot easier. Now all i have to do is worry about actually understanding the science behind welding and knowing what im doing! Im not here to say im better than everyone im here to succeed and make a living and have fun with my career. And i wish everyone the best of luck for their futures.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I bought my pocket welding guide 30th edition from welding.org is there anything i will be needing? or am i set to go from here for a beginning. i have most of my tools already

As long as that "good hand" is connected to a "GOLDEN ARM" and a will to learn from the ones in the field (or pond) you should be fine. Just remember just cause you went to school doesn't mean you can't learn from the "Old Guys". Just Sayin'

All the best. Sounds like you have the right attitude.
    Miller syncrowave 200 runner with coolmate 4
    and wp2025 weldcraft torch
    Miller 125c plasma cutter

I'm 25 and have technically been welding for 10 years now (counting the three years of vo-tech school i had in highschool) and I have been at my current shop for almost seven years. Through out that time I have learned a lot from both senior welders as well as younger guys. I also know that I've helped some of the older guys with technique and other things. what I'm trying to say is always listen to people, because if ever the saying 'there's more then one way to skin a cat' was true, it would be referring to welding.