Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Wire welder feed, but no arc (spark)

I have a millermatic 150 that I bought used a few years ago. It has been an amazing welder. I was welding the other day and in the middle of a bead, it stopped welding. I have had this happen before and waited to let it cool and continued on. This time, there was no continuing. The welder will feed wire and expel gas, but won't arc with fan still running. I have tried wiggling the amperage switch, checked fuse on circuit board, and removed and re-inserted gun. Oh, I also have tried to weld straight to the ground clamp. The main relay will click when the trigger is pressed, but will then un-click, while I have the trigger still pressed.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Cameo bronco; 10-20-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Cameo bronco View Post
    I have a millermatic 150 that I bought used a few years ago. It has been an amazing welder. I was welding the other day and in the middle of a bead, it stopped welding. I have had this happen before and waited to let it cool and continued on. This time, there was no continuing. The welder will feed wire and expel gas, but won't arc with fan still running. I have tried wiggling the amperage switch, checked fuse on circuit board, and removed and re-inserted gun. Oh, I also have tried to weld straight to the ground clamp. The main relay will click when the trigger is pressed, but will then un-click, while I have the trigger still pressed.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.
    Are you "in between ranges"

I have tried each setting and still no weld.

Just for curiousity Take take a meter and check from the drive to the ground in Volts DC. Also take a piece of mig wire and jumper the machine terminals. See if the contactor drops out.

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Just for curiousity Take take a meter and check from the drive to the ground in Volts DC. Also take a piece of mig wire and jumper the machine terminals. See if the contactor drops out.
    Drive? Not sure what this is.

The machine terminals on what.

Sorry, not certain every part on this thing.

I am ok on electrical troubleshooting, just not familiar with wiring on this thing.

Thanks for your help.

The drive is the driven wheels where your welding wire comes out