Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default welder does not come on!

I have a Miller 210, put 1 spool of wire through it and it always worked great. I moved from California to Colorado 3 years ago and just now was able to use welder. I plugged it in and turned on the switch and........ nothing! I checked the power source and then opened up the welder. There is power to the switch and out the other side. There is power to the fan and the leads going to the transformers but nothing comes on..... Any ideas???? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    I have a Miller 210, put 1 spool of wire through it and it always worked great. I moved from California to Colorado 3 years ago and just now was able to use welder. I plugged it in and turned on the switch and........ nothing! I checked the power source and then opened up the welder. There is power to the switch and out the other side. There is power to the fan and the leads going to the transformers but nothing comes on..... Any ideas???? Help!
    Post a serial#, so we can look at the correct diagram.

Sorry, new at this.... serial number is LC558486 and if it helps or not the stock number is 907046. Thank you in advance for any help or direction you may have.

-TED-

Maybe a gun problem, jumper the machines trigger terminal with a piece of mig wire

Thank you, i'll go try it...... Well, that didn't work, all I got was silence again. does anything go wrong from just sitting for almost 4 years or traveling 1100 miles on a truck? This thing is in brand new condition and was always kept inside. Got any ideas for my next step?

Pretty simple machine, Is your power correct?

Odd that your contactor is dropping out, thats why I'm thinking that you don't have a complete 230 Vac to run the unit.

Need to spend a few minutes with multi meter and determine if you have the right power at the outlet first, then hopscotch up the machine a wee bit. I would see if there is another outlet you can try the machine on first.

i checked power with multimeter and got 121 volts on each leg at the outlet and also through the welder on / off switch....

You should be checking for 240 volts across the two hot leads, not from each to ground. Check the power at the outlet first, then check inside the welder with it plugged in. With the welder turned on, also check the output side of the power switch. A poor electrical connection can still give you good voltage readings if there is no load, but the voltage will drop significantly after the poor connection when a load is connected.

Charley
    2 Miller Digital Elite and 3 Fixed Shade Helmets
    2 O/A torch sets
    DeWalt 18 volt 1/2" Driver/Drill
    DeWalt 18 volt 6 1/2" Metal Saw
    DeWalt Porta Band & SWAG Offroad V3 Table
    Milwaukee 8" Dry Cut Saw
    Milwaukee 14" Dry Cut Chop Saw / Delta Stand
    Milwaukee 9" Grinder
    2 Milwaukee 4 1/2" Grinders
    Milwaukee Hole Hawg 1/2" Drill
    Wallace 5 Ton Gantry
    Too many hand tools

Quote Originally Posted by Ted View Post
    i checked power with multimeter and got 121 volts on each leg at the outlet and also through the welder on / off switch....
    Unfortunatly, as Charley said, that reading you took means squat. just tells me that you have power on the receptacle, doesn't tell me if its on the same phase or not.