Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Wasting Wire

Default Wasting Wire

When changing spools (I.e. GMAW to FCAW) will it damage the liner to pull the wire back into the spool? In other words is it harmful for the wire to go the other way?

Obviously I'd release the rollers first.

I don't want to cut off and throw away 10 feet or so of wire every time I change wire type if I don't have to.

Just nip off the ball on the end first so it goes through nice, flip the rollers and rewind.

Sweet! Thank you.

Do it all the time just as walker described.
    MM200 w/spot controller and Spoolmatic 1
    Syncrowave 180 SD
    Bobcat 225G Plus LPG/NG w/14-pin*
    *Homemade Suitcase Wire Feeder
    *HF-251D-1
    *WC-1S & Spoolmatic 1
    PakMaster 100XL
    Marquette "Star Jet" 21-110

Yup, eating that much wire would be pointless

You might even be able to TIG weld the last 10' of wire off the empty roll onto the leader of the new roll. That might be a bit extreme though.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    You might even be able to TIG weld the last 10' of wire off the empty roll onto the leader of the new roll. That might be a bit extreme though.

LOL!!
    Reminds me of welding school when I was an apprentice. They would have us TIG weld all the TIG rod stubs together at the end of each day. Then you'd have a job on your hands trying to roll the rod down with your left hand with all these bumps and bends in the rod.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post

LOL!!
    Reminds me of welding school when I was an apprentice. They would have us TIG weld all the TIG rod stubs together at the end of each day. Then you'd have a job on your hands trying to roll the rod down with your left hand with all these bumps and bends in the rod.
    That would certainly teach you that good fitting and welding is a must!

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post

LOL!!
    Ha ha that was the way my teacher did it. He didn't have us do it at the end of class but he liked to see you stick the short end on a new piece. Then we'd clean up the stick booths and there would be half a box in half used rod on the floor lol