Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: Forum etiquette

Angry Forum etiquette

Or common courtesy for those who don't want to google the term...

Recently I started a thread asking a question about performing SMAW using the high frequency AC available from an inverter power source. After a couple of replies related to the topic - and I thank those forum members who responded to MY QUESTION - the thread degenerated into

- a squabble about who knows about AC submerged arc and who doesn't
    - a discussion of how people weld in the third world using a junkyard transformer
    - a debate as to which is more dangerous AC or DC

None of these are related to the topic in the original question. On most forums this is known as "hyjacking" a thread and is considered offensive.

If you want to discuss these topics, please start your own thread. There is no charge to do so. If you want to start a thread to compare the hazards of AC vs. DC I might even provide a link to the film of Thomas Edison electrocuting an elephant to demonstrate the danger of AC. But that does not belong in my thread about SMAW on an inverter power source; nor in this thread about forum etiquette.

Thanks,

Ken

Default Forum etiquette

Etiquette ( /ˈɛtɨkɛt/ or /ˈɛtɨkɪt/, French: [e.ti.kɛt]) is a code of behavior that delineates expectations for social behavior according to contemporary conventional norms within a society, social class, or group. The French word étiquette, literally signifying a tag or label first appeared in English around 1750.[1]

Annnnnd, so what, your question was answered. why bother posting another goofy post, does it really matter in the wide world of goofy things.

Ken, you're right of course. The discussion did morph into a debate unrelated to your question but I thought (and I think everyone else did too) that your question had in fact been addressed by the time that happened.

If I recall correctly the question was what would the use of a higher frequency be like to weld with when using AC for stick. It would weld the same as it normally would using AC. Somebody said pretty much exactly that after I made my initial comment. It was after you got your answer that things went sideways.

Thinking more about it now the only advantage I can imagine that was not mentioned in your other thread in using a higher frequency is that it might be a little easier to initiate the arc which can sometimes be problematic when stick welding with AC at 60 Hz but it will still weld like AC because it is still AC. Would it be a smoother version of AC stick welding? Maybe, but it won't be as smooth as DC using an inverter, which is what my answer was on your other thread.

I hope you now feel your question has been answered. As for debates that derail threads, that's a normal part of forum activity regardless of what kind of forum it is.

Oops, didn't see you there, Cruiser.

Default Forum etiquette

Discussions often go off track ( a little bit ) on this forum, but often for good reason. You asked about A/C SMAW. Advantages, disadvantages and yes safety fit into the topic.
    If someone has more to add to the Original post they will.
    I think it is bad etiquette to imply that the people you are posting to don't understand the meaning of etiquette.
    Next time I get to my local DIY store I will get some A/C rods and try it on my Dynasty and post it.

Uhhh.. Welcome to the world of the internet forums. They are free....And anybody is free to say what they want. Don't like it, try the next forum. I learned years ago to just ignore the bs, and pay very close attention when a senior member contributes to a thread. It's all you can do.