Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Generator Question

I have never welded with my Miller 211 off a generator. Found a deal on one. Was wondering what to look for while test running it before I buy. It has 7,000 running and 12,000 surge watts so it should push the welder just fine. But I know nothing about generators, so if anyone can help me with assurance before I buy it would be greatly appreciated. It's a 6 year old General. He's asking $430. Thanks!

Yep, giver, I see no problems

Generac I meant.
    Last edited by Packers To Super Bowl !!; 10-15-2012 at 09:31 PM.

Anything to look for during the test run? I just plan on bringing a 4 foot piece of steel and cranking it all the way up, then lay a fat bead that long. That should be all I need to do do to feel comfortable buying??

Actually, what you want to bring is a meter, is case the unit is running way over, or way under voltage and frequency

You should probably meter the machine BEFORE you plug ANYTHING into it.

Just a thought.

Why would you need to lay a 4' weld to test it?

Not sure if that's necessary now, would just a voltage tester in the .240 outlet all I need to check.?

Quote Originally Posted by Packers To Super Bowl !! View Post
    Not sure if that's necessary now, would just a voltage tester in the .240 outlet all I need to check.?
    You need to Check the HZ also

If your meter doesn't do this you can actually do it with a a Kill-a-Watt, about 10 bux at Lowes.

You'll need 2 lights or something else to to plug in the receptacles to put a load on the generator. Space heaters work.

Just plug the 2 120v loads in to 2 separate receptacles.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Ed,
    What's the purpose of the above test ?