Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Post What Welding oppourtunities are their?

So this welding school im going to was suppose be a 3month course and i have only been there for 2 weeks and i already basicially finished the whole course with it. I have went through 4 tests already and passed them all very well. But now i only have pulse and TIG test to do. The only thing that might make me stay longer is the teacher probably wants me to stay a few weeks for the oscia classes.

i passed:
    SMAW 3G
    FCAW 3G
    FCAW 4G
    GMAW 3G-Spray

But what other types of welding can i go get training for when im done. I was thinking underwater welding. But what drew me back from that was being underwater in high depths and having to depressurize yourself because of the nitrogen blood thing. I still have my mind on it but im not to sure at the same time.

Maybe i might want to seek more dry welding trainig before i try wet welding?

Problem is, do you understand the theory. Do you understand the layout. I can weld in all procedures just fine, but I'm definately not a welder.

Just cause you can pass the physical weld tests really means nothing. There is written tests that you have to pass as well. Nor do you have any real world experience. so justifing taking more courses like underwater welding seems farfetched.

Best to complete the 3 month course and go from there.

Now I'm an Aircraft Engineer. Comming from a mechanical background, I already new how to overhaul an engine, so why bother staying for the next 2 years in school. Well to learn everything else of course. then off to the real world to retrain again.

Cool

I see guys everyday coming out of a fancy welding school with more papers than i will ever need and they can't fit for crap. So now we have a bunch of mig trigger guys that don't like to sit and weld for 10 hours a day but thats all they were taught. So they leave and another batch comes in. Oh well made my job better the boss says just tack it i can get anyone to weld it. So i am a full time fitter...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Default What Welding oppourtunities are their?

I would consider training in pipe/ structural welding, measurement and layout training, welding of different materials and alloys etc... I am a Maintenance Mechanic in a big Manufacturing Plant and one of only 3 out of 25 guys that can weld pretty much "everything" we have. Most of the other 22 guys can weld great when they have their material laying on the welding table and in an ideal position but can't handle the scrutiny of welding in a real repair or out of position.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by bobhdus View Post
    I would consider training in pipe/ structural welding, measurement and layout training, welding of different materials and alloys etc... I am a Maintenance Mechanic in a big Manufacturing Plant and one of only 3 out of 25 guys that can weld pretty much "everything" we have. Most of the other 22 guys can weld great when they have their material laying on the welding table and in an ideal position but can't handle the scrutiny of welding in a real repair or out of position.
    Yup what he says right to the point...Bob
    Bob Wright, Grandson of Tee Nee Boat Trailer Founder
    Metal Master Fab Salem, Oh 44460
    Birthplace of the Silver & Deming Drill
    1999 MM185 w/185 Spoolgun,1986 Thunderbolt AC/DC
    Spool Gun conversion. How To Do It. Below.
    http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...php?albumid=48

Its true . Their is more to welding and job security then just pulling a trigger well. I fit 10 hours a day. I maybe weld 30min.
    Syncrowave 250
    Millermatic 210
    dialarc 250
    spectrum 375x
    trailblazer 302
    Lincoln 135