Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Service supply lines

Hello All,

Just picked up my new welder and was going to start the installation of my electric service for the unit. I thought I could use 8 AWG like most normal 220 circuits, but I'm concerned that it may not meet the needs.

I will be putting in a dedicated branch circuit and it will be about a 35 foot run. Does anyone have experience setting up service for this welder? Would the 8 AWG get the job done or should I look at 6 AWG or larger?

Thanks in advance,

Mac
    Last edited by MacDuff; 10-12-2012 at 10:10 AM.

And your new welder is a what??

I am not familiar with the term AVG but I always use 6gauge wire. Seems to keep voltage drop down with and supply voltage more cosistantly. I use THHN.
    Last edited by NathanH; 10-12-2012 at 02:22 PM.
    Campbell Hausfeld 110V MIG
    Jo Ann Fabrics Hot Glue Gun

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    And your new welder is a what??
    My bad, it's the Tunderbolt XL 225/150

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I am not familiar with the term AVG but I always use 6gauge wire. Seems to keep head down with and supply voltage more cosistantly. I use THHN.
    That should have been AWG not AVG. Do you use fuses or a circuit breaker on your disconnect box?

I use circuit breakers. You could use a slow blow fuse if that is what you have in your box. You could also get away with 8 gauge wire too. But might as well do 6 as you never know what the future holds for you as far as welders go.
    Campbell Hausfeld 110V MIG
    Jo Ann Fabrics Hot Glue Gun

Yep at 35' you'll need #6 to cover your bases.

Quote Originally Posted by NathanH View Post
    I am not familiar with the term AVG but I always use 6gauge wire. Seems to keep head down with and supply voltage more cosistantly. I use THHN.
    AWG= American Wire Gauge
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by MacDuff View Post
    Hello All,

Just picked up my new welder and was going to start the installation of my electric service for the unit. I thought I could use 8 AWG like most normal 220 circuits, but I'm concerned that it may not meet the needs.

I will be putting in a dedicated branch circuit and it will be about a 35 foot run. Does anyone have experience setting up service for this welder? Would the 8 AWG get the job done or should I look at 6 AWG or larger?

Thanks in advance,

Mac
    Just in case you look at the manual and see odd wire gauge/CB recommendations:
    50amp Circuit Breaker and Minimum #12 wire

This is due to the Duty Cycle of the machine. NEC allows for using smaller wire on a dedicated run and following the conduit/wire guidelines.

The Power cord is probably #12.

Anyhoo- as already mentioned if you use #6 you will definitely be set for any future machines, 100% for any machine that comes from the manufacturer with a 6-50 Plug on the end of the Power cord.

http://www.millerwelds.com/om/o316t_mil.pdf
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Thanks for all the input / responses. The manual is exactly what had me baffled. I may be in for more wiring than I planned as my box in the garage is on a 50 amp breaker and it looks like it was connected with 8 AWG. It's only money and time, right?