Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Welding supervisor?

Looking for input on becoming a welding supervisor. If I take the position, what kind of pay increase should I be looking to ask for? Also. What kind of responsibilities are included? Keep in mind, I am located in Ontario Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by gregwsheldon View Post
    Looking for input on becoming a welding supervisor. If I take the position, what kind of pay increase should I be looking to ask for? Also. What kind of responsibilities are included? Keep in mind, I am located in Ontario Canada.
    Are you a journeyman welder? As for responsibilities your employer will set that for you as your pay increase if any.

Unsure why you are asking here, as we have no clue on the size or type of the business in question.

I am just asking from "in your experience" what is expected?

I am not a journeyman yet. And the responsibilities would involve as the title states - welding supervisor. Supervising welding. Overseeing all critical weldments to be sure complying with code, etc.

All welding supers that I know of are Journeymen welders, with alot of certs and background in all welding proceses. That way they can troubleshoot a welding problem.

I'm unsure if a apprentice would possibly qualify you. I know in Ontario, the welder system is different, thus I don't know the skill set that you require. Out in Alberta, you would'nt qualify.

Like Cruizer said, We need to know if your a welding super viser for a company that welds picture frames together where being certified is not impotant and you are the boss of 2-3 guys or are you a welding supervisor over the Alaskin Pipe line where you have 300 guys under you.

There is a slight difference between the two.

Actually, I recently found out that Ontario has finally joined the rest of the country and now recognises and issues welding tickets within the Red Seal program so their J tickets are now the same as ours. I have no idea when they started doing this but I checked it out just a few weeks ago and they are in fact following the Red Seal program now. Still, like Cruiser said, it wouldn't make any sense to give a supervisory position to an apprentice or even to a brand new journeyman although strange things do sometimes happen if it's in a small shop or a non-union environment or both. I don't think I would get my hopes up, Greg. They could very well (and should) yank the position back away from you if they find someone suitable.
    Last edited by Matrix; 10-16-2012 at 07:58 PM.

I've been thinking about this a little bit more and I think my advise would be to decline the position if they do offer it. You can say you don't think it's appropriate which would be the truth. There's more at stake here than just a chance for early advancement in the company. There is your reputation to consider. Your coworkers will lose all respect for you if you do not pay your dues in the trenches before moving up and that will backfire on you when the poop hits the fan after you've made a mistake in judgement or if there is trouble on the job with your coworkers. A promotion like that needs to be based soley on merit and there should be no room for the possibility of anyone casting doubt on it. Otherwise you'll always be known as the little weasel who put on his kneepads to get the job. A rep like that can last you your whole lifetime. Companies in this industry come and go but the workforce stays pretty much the same. Guys will move around from job to job. That's normal in this business. You'll see those guys again. There's no guarantee you'd be with that company for the rest of your life and then there you'd be, starting fresh with another company with that rep following you. I think it's better to be known for being a good tradesman.

That's my 2 cents, anyways.

If everybody who was offered a promotion declined them due to them not being totally comfortable with the new responsibility, there would be no supers out there. I think thats almost always part of it, that you need to take a bit of a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Cgotto6 View Post
    If everybody who was offered a promotion declined them due to them not being totally comfortable with the new responsibility, there would be no supers out there. I think thats almost always part of it, that you need to take a bit of a chance.
    Not that at all. he's an apprentice, NOT a journeyman, yet he'd be responsible for journeymen. Good luck with that one. As well as, who is going to sign the apprentices log books. not him, has to be another journeyman. Too many problems with this position and for him to deal with.

Matrix was dead on.

I just want to say - I do agree with you Matrix if I was brand new to the industry. I have been in it for eight years with a broad range of experience. From structural to SS. I have had CWB tickets, but they have expired since I was out of welding for three years. Plus my fitting skills are nothing to be sneezed at. I also agree with Cgoto6 that everyone needs to take a chance in their life to get ahead.

Great input by you all. Thank you!