Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Accessories for xmt 350 cc/cv?

Hello, I bought a used xmt 350 cc/cv including a wirefeeder (Miller S-22P12).

I want to get the most out of it, including tig and alu welding.
    I read somewhere about mounting a gas valve inside the xmt, is this oem parts only, expensive?
    I also read about the spoolmatic gun, is this the best solution for alu, or is it better with a push pull gun?

What about the optima pulser?

Default XMT350 Internal gas valve

Quote Originally Posted by panasync View Post
    Hello, I bought a used xmt 350 cc/cv including a wirefeeder (Miller S-22P12).

I want to get the most out of it, including tig and alu welding.
    I read somewhere about mounting a gas valve inside the xmt, is this oem parts only, expensive?
    I also read about the spoolmatic gun, is this the best solution for alu, or is it better with a push pull gun?

What about the optima pulser?
    Panasync,
    Since I only planned to tig steel, several years ago now I bought the Miller internal gas valve BM from my LWS ...around $100 if my memory is correct. If you are planning to tig aluminum with your XMT350, you are going to need a HF-251D ac frequency arc starter which will come with its own gas valve.

I've never welded aluminum so I'll leave that discussion to those with experience.

The optima pulser is for mig...you'll want to check out whether it is compatible with your wire feeder. I suggest you look at the accessories available for the XMT 350 and the other docs Miller has relating to tig, mig and aluminum welding to answers to your questions...there is a lot of good info here.
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller RFCS-14HD pedal
    Smith HM2051A-580 Flowmeter
    Bernard Q300 MIG Gun
    Weldcraft WP26FV-12R Air Cooled Torch

Not going to run Aluminum with a XMT 350 ---- no AC---

Correct. You can not tig weld aluminum with a XMT.
    Only way to effectively weld aluminum with a XMT would be mig and a spoolgun.
    Lincoln Idealarc 250 stick/tig
    Century Mig
    Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 52
    Torchmate CNC table

Owner/Operator Devlin Metal Works
    Custom CNC Plasma Cutting and Welding

Just get a tig torch with a valve and a gas inlet the goes into the side of the machine end connector. There is you tig capability (need bottle of argon too). Get a spool gun and the correct little black box for you situation (I run a 3035 and a SGA100C) and you can MIG aluminum. You already have a feeder, so that is taken care of. Make up a set of leads for stick welding, and that pretty much is the sum total of anything you could need.
    I take that back, you could also get the pulser pendant, but I shudder at the cost of them.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Just get a tig torch with a valve and a gas inlet the goes into the side of the machine end connector. There is you tig capability (need bottle of argon too). Get a spool gun and the correct little black box for you situation (I run a 3035 and a SGA100C) and you can MIG aluminum. You already have a feeder, so that is taken care of. Make up a set of leads for stick welding, and that pretty much is the sum total of anything you could need.
    I take that back, you could also get the pulser pendant, but I shudder at the cost of them.
    If you use a 30A spool gun + WC-24 controller, its not nessesary to have a gas valve as the gas for the 30A comes direct from the gas regulator. The gas shut off is built into the 30A.

It's only say if you were tigging steel that the gas solinoid would be handy, though most use a valve at the torch.