Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Xmt350cc/cv mild steel mig wire

Hello everybody out there!I am now experimenting with mild steel mig welding on my xmt350cc/cv.I have 1.2mm wire and using argon shield(argon+co2+O2).Its okay with 5mm upwards materials.I intend to do some fabrication involving 0,8mmm up to 2mm in thickness.I was thinking of getting 0,6mm wire?Can this be the right size?
    I have a 24 volt 70 series wire feeder.

Default Miller MIG calculator

Quote Originally Posted by Powerweld View Post
    Hello everybody out there!I am now experimenting with mild steel mig welding on my xmt350cc/cv.I have 1.2mm wire and using argon shield(argon+co2+O2).Its okay with 5mm upwards materials.I intend to do some fabrication involving 0,8mmm up to 2mm in thickness.I was thinking of getting 0,6mm wire?Can this be the right size?
    I have a 24 volt 70 series wire feeder.
    Powerweld,
    Miller's mig calculator indicates 0,8mm wire for the steel thickness range you've specified, however, I don't see why .6mm wire shouldn't work... you'll just run more wire....here's a link to the calculator which also recommends gas and wire feed speed (if I figured right approximately 5.6-8.6M/min):

http://www.millerwelds.com/resources...calculator.php

The calculator is also available as a download if you have a smartphone. Although folks have preferences, this should get you close at least.

Tim
    Miller Digital Elite
    Miller RFCS-14HD pedal
    Smith HM2051A-580 Flowmeter
    Bernard Q300 MIG Gun
    Weldcraft WP26FV-12R Air Cooled Torch