Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default I'm not complaining

I was just curious about what would make this $300 - 400.

Quote Originally Posted by Jbkinn View Post
    So who is quoting you $300 - $400?
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23460

This guy made his own pedal for about $20, and spare parts.

Default More interest than I thought

Funny how one thing leads into another. I also came across a homemade HF box. So in both projects the components were not expensive! Thus verifying my original premise.
    I did some checking on commercial prices and found that I was a hundred dollars high.
    The comparison between foot pedal and torch control was something that I was wondering about.
    Thanks again for all your responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodhand View Post
    http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/...ad.php?t=23460

This guy made his own pedal for about $20, and spare parts.
    Although it is always interesting to see people's endeavors, that foot control would last about 2 hours in a production environment. The potentiometer shaft looks unsupported, and the side load will wear it out quickly. As far as resale, forget it.

But it looks small and lightweight enough to use in other ways. Like an underarm controller.

Miller Dynasty700DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw

This rock solid foot control from SSC Controls in the optional chrome finish is $198.

http://www.ssccontrols.com/TIGchart.htm
    Last edited by shovelon; 10-15-2012 at 09:10 AM.

Miller Dynasty700DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw

Funny how one thing leads into another. I also came across a homemade HF box. So in both projects the components were not expensive! Thus verifying my original premise.
    I did some checking on commercial prices and found that I was a hundred dollars high.
    The comparison between foot pedal and torch control was something that I was wondering about.
    Thanks again for all your responses.
    It's alway good to make your own stuff, though that foot control simply won't last long. The idea is to buy something that you know will last like SSC.

And those parts prices individually cost in excess of $75 not including the ampheol which is another $50

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Although it is always interesting to see people's endeavors, that foot control would last about 2 hours in a production environment. The potentiometer shaft looks unsupported, and the side load will wear it out quickly. As far as resale, forget it.

But it looks small and lightweight enough to use in other ways. Like an underarm controller.
    Really? It's amazing how one can think they can diagnose workability from a photo when they don't know how the item works. The pot shaft is very adequately supported, and since the pull on the dacron line from the return spring balances the pull on the line to the pedal, there is essentially zero side loading on the shaft. So, conceivably, failure will occur when the internals of the pot, itself, fails... just as in any electro-mechanical device of like parameters from any supplier.

I think this pedal was made for use by the designer/fabricator, without any plans to make them for commercial use.
    Last edited by Goodhand; 10-15-2012 at 11:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodhand View Post
    Really? It's amazing how one can think they can diagnose workability from a photo when they don't know how the item works. The pot shaft is very adequately supported, and since the pull on the dacron line from the return spring balances the pull on the line to the pedal, there is essentially zero side loading on the shaft. So, conceivably, failure will occur when the internals of the pot, itself, fails... just as in any electro-mechanical device of like parameters from any suppler.

I think this pedal was made for use by the designer/fabricator, without any plans to make them for commercial use.
    Sorry, did not know it was yours.

Your pics don't allow me to zoom in on them. Did you put a remote contactor switch in there too?

Miller Dynasty700DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw

after i built my truck, put the crane on it, bolted down the big blue air pak, and all the rest of the junkto go along. then filling the truck and welder with fuel,i couldnt see spending $ 250 on the pedal!