Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Why high price for pedal?

Just bought a TIG but can't understand why a pedal cost so much. If all it has is potentiometer, what's the big deal?

Default Why high price for pedal?

Duno, all of my tig welders came with a pedal

Because it increases shareholder wealth. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Jbkinn View Post
    Just bought a TIG but can't understand why a pedal cost so much. If all it has is potentiometer, what's the big deal?

I don't get your question, same could be said for the welder, afterall its just a couple of boards and a transformer, or a car, its just 4 wheels, a power train, a body and some seats.

No a pedal is not just a potentiometer, its the gears to run the pot, a microswitch to start your welder, a cable out to the machine, an adaptor for the cable to attach to the machine. And a spung case to hold the assembly together.

Default High price?

just a question, if there is not much inside and the price is high why there seems nobody made their own?

Well from what i could not find on the net...have you ever heard of someone making it's own foot control?

Can't see the hassle of making your own, I mean for a one off, it would cost more than buying a new one from Miller at list. I buy parts in bulk, so prices to build something is significantly lower, plus I sell pedals for $100 bucks made up for any machine. There is NO way to build a one off pedal for that....

Convenience.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Default Thanks for your replies

I'll take mine apart to check it out.
    as far as making one my guess is that welders are interested in welding not in electronics.

I just bought a set of wheels for my truck, but can't understand why the tires cost so much. They are just rubber, whats the big deal.
    :~ATTITUDE MAKES THE DIFFERENCE!!!:

If you are complaining about the cost of the foot pedal give up now. Jusy wait the pedal will seem cheap compared to many other things.
    Miller Diversion 180
    Lincoln Mig Pak 5000 HD
    Hypertherm 45
    Uni-Spotter Stud Welder
    Oxy Set-up with Harris Torch
    Miller 30FX Arc Station
    Miller Elite - Hockey Canada Helmet