Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Workshop Hand Tools

I have found it hard to find small hand tools for my workshop.
    Just the simple ones.
    The ones that I use every day.
    I don't just work on flat plate sometimes its round and square sections.
    I thought I would share what I use to get the job done. I hope others will post here with what they have made to help around the workshop.

I have wasted heaps of time over the years just putting up with an issue but today I had to solve it.

Our drill press never seems to align a drill bit without us having to spin the drill 180 degrees than adjusting half way in both the X & Y axis.
    To find out where the problem was we turned up a length of 10mm or 3/8" diameter stainless steel rod with a 25 degree point.I placed it into the drill chuck and aligned it to a cross pattern I marked on some scrap ali. I then drilled a hole with a 5mm drill bit. The hole was off badly. I have a Jacob's keyless chuck which I know to be fine so I popped out the arbour and installed an old rusty arbour which I know to be straight. I then tapped on the original B16 Chinese key chuck and installed the stainless steel sharpened rod over another cross pattern.
    This time when I drilled the hole I found it perfectly aligned with the X & Y axes.
    The new arbour I stalled after purchasing the drill was bent or badly manufactured. The stainless steel centre point will be used from now on to locate the centre of a hole before installing the bit.
    This will save time and increase the accuracy.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Nice idea! I think I might have to steal that idea. Thank you
    At home:
    Dynasty 200 DX
    Millermatic 211 Auto-set
    Spoolmate 100

At work:
    2-Syncrowave 250
    2-maxstar 150
    millermatic 250X
    Dynasty 200 DX

Hi Paul,
    It is not a new idea but it is worth knowing & using.
    Go for it !
    Will save a lot of time.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

The machine vice I use on my drill press came with a handle that is to long for its area, so I use a pair of vice grips to adjust the vice.
    Now that the drill press is starting to work really well it was time to sort out the handle issue.
    New members to this forum always ask for projects to do. Why? there are plenty of setting up the workshop projects without looking for one. Once these are done you will have a usable workshop and know how to do most fabrication jobs.

I purchased a slab of 20mm or 3/4" thick 6060 T5, fired up CAD, did a drawing to use as a template and started in.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Time for a test fit.
    Yep does not even need any filing.
    Time for a linish and ready to be stamped.
    I decided to make a new stamp holder yesterday so can not stamp the vice handle until it is fabricated.
    May be tomorrow.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Nice finish.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Thank you Kvwall.

Sorry chaps but I intended to fab a bunch of hand tools but an aluminium saw came up on Ebay cheap so I bought it. I then serviced it polished its deck, painted the engine housing and generally cleaned it.
    It is now ready for work but I will still have to set it up.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

I really want to save time cleaning up the mess saws make.
    With that in mind and knowing how bad the mess is from band saws I started making a cabinet for the new aluminium saw so the mess will be contained and easily vacuumed up.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

There is no welding with this project yet.
    Just folding and screwing.
    Anyway the aluminium saw cabinet is ready for the doors.
    I will try and weld them tomorrow.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Top saw awning gate completed.
    Just need to hinge, gas strut, latch and sheet gate now.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it