Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Post Need Beginner Welding Tips

Can anyone give me advice for a beginner welder that will be going on jobsite soon i will tell you my backround information!

Backround Information:

Im a 19 year kid i just graduated high school this year and i was taking a marine trade programs for 11th and 12th for boating and i picked up on welding because i really liked it although i did not get alot of time with it because like i said it was more for boating. But i choose to do welding for my senior project more in depth so my teacher sent me on an internship for 1month for welding and i did really good with it and passed the bend tests on first try. So when i graduated school i paid to take the full course and now i am attending that school. I just started last tuesday. I am progressing at a really high unusual rate i passed my SMAW 3g test, FCAW 3G test, FCAW 4g test, bend tests and i already setup my test for GMAW-spray 3g test but i couldn't start it because class ended. But i will be starting and finishing it monday morning. But if i keep progressing this fast i dont know what the teachers will have me do because all i have left after this is pulsing 3g/4g and then 6ging. the class is 3 months long and he said people don't normally progress in welding this fast. But he said i could get a good job going at a rate like this. He said either the government or the union would be good! But i dont know what to choose as im a beginner.

So my three choices after the class that ive put together is:

1.Either go to a 4 year college and get a actual degree for it
    2.Work for the government, because if you pass their test they higher you and they have this apprentice ship program. Which involves fixing submarines and etc.
    3 Or i could work for the union the teacher said
    -------------------------------------------------------------

But what stuff would i need, regular welding hood or one with a ventilation system included, and any newcomer tips. My teacher told me to buy a pocket notebook to keep my owns notes because it somtimes can be hard to remember stuff right off the top of your head and he suggested a welding manual for welding.org or somthing like that?

i already have my leathers, i just need to buy my tools

Default get after it

id recomend a shop for abit first.a yr or more .small one so you get recognition not just a number.and exept that you have to start at the bottom of the ladder

It would be helpful to know where you are located. The welding industry has a lot of specalized areas that you could eventually work into. Starting from where you are at though, it can be a challange to select a specality. What you will need first is a solid foundation in the working world. Schools can be a great start, but there's a lot they can't teach. Look around your home town for a shop that seems to be doing good quality work and ask them what you need to do to get a foot in the door. The best way to get any kind of job, is to have your face out there in person, meeting people and letting them know what you are like and what kind of employee you would be.

Probably the single best skill for getting any job is to be able to appreciate the needs of your potential employer. If they need a new hire, then they have a problem that needs to be solved. Find out what that need/problem is and then find the way that you can solve it for them. Any employee has to produce enough income for the shop to offset the cost of hiring you plus some owner's profit. Nobody hires someone to lose money.