Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: New to welding

Cool New to welding

I have been a cabinetmaker my whole life and now I am wanting to add furniture pieces with metal incorporated.
    I also have a demo project coming up where I have to cut apart 2 huge boilers.
    I also have a gate I need to add a piece of expanded metal to, so I need to cut it and then weld it on to the gate.
    I want to purchase a plasma cutter and I need some advice as to brand and amperage.
    Actually any advice would be great!
    Thanks, Joe

Well i may be able to help you. What kind of metal is your gate made of. You can't just grab and weld whatever you want with any metal, it does not work that way! If you use the welding process your going to ruin your gate.
    Last edited by WelderNM; 10-13-2012 at 11:37 AM.

Default New to welding

Hypertherm seems to be the hands-down winner as far as plasma cutters go. It's been discussed time and time again on this forum.

I use a Miller Spectrum 625. I like it but I have nothing to compare it to. As far as size, what material are you going to cut?

Check out the specs on the machines you're looking at and see if it matches your needs.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by WelderNM View Post
    Well i may be able to help you. What kind of metal is your gate made of. You can't just grab and weld whatever you want with any metal, it does not work that way! If you use the welding process your going to ruin your gate.
    What?????????????
    Nick
    Miller 252 Mig
    Miller Cricket XL
    Millermatic 150 Mig
    Miller Syncrowave 200 Tig
    2-O/A outfits
    Jet Lathe and Mill
    Jet 7x12 horz/vert band saw
    DeWalt Multi Cutter metal saw
    Century 50 Amp Plasma Cutter
    20 ton electric/hydraulic vertical press