Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default need advices to become a welder

Hello everyone,

I live in Vancouver,BC. Recently I am thinking to get into the trades area to become a welder. The motivation is simple. I need to do a well paid job to feed the family. After asking around a few job training institutes, the situation is there were long waiting lists in every school in the lower mainland. The earliest will have to wait till winter 2014. So I phoned a few schools in BC inland, some still have available seats as early as Jan, 2013. But I need to leave my kids and study in a distant location for 28 weeks. It's really cost a lot-tuition fees, living cost, 28 weeks without pay cheque, and leaving home. I am 38 years old, physically I am healthy but not a strong type, and I wear glasses otherwise can not see clearly. I need everybody's opinion about this issue: Can people like me starting at my age be successful in this career? What is the biggest challenge I will face if I decided to do it?

Thank you very much.

I can give you a mountain of advise in one little word.

Alberta.

Never mind your reasons for staying in BC. Family, friends, whatever. If you can't make a go of it those reasons just aren't good enough anymore.

Not saying its late in life to job jump, I've done it numerous times. But it'll take up to 5 years to become certified as welder and the pay won't really be there until the 5 years is up..

Now what I do when I'm really bored, is go run a tracked excavator or jump into a semi. headed for who knows where.

Taking a course to run heavy equipment might be more up your alley. Lots of construction going on and these firms are always looking for certified operators.

Heck. I'm not certified on a excavator, still I get $40/hr to sit there listen to the radio and spin around moving dirt. Works out to $28/hr sitting behind the wheel of a tractor trailer.

Default It's a physical job

Quote Originally Posted by manwithresponsibility View Post
    Hello everyone,

I live in Vancouver,BC. Recently I am thinking to get into the trades area to become a welder. The motivation is simple. I need to do a well paid job to feed the family. After asking around a few job training institutes, the situation is there were long waiting lists in every school in the lower mainland. The earliest will have to wait till winter 2014. So I phoned a few schools in BC inland, some still have available seats as early as Jan, 2013. But I need to leave my kids and study in a distant location for 28 weeks. It's really cost a lot-tuition fees, living cost, 28 weeks without pay cheque, and leaving home. I am 38 years old, physically I am healthy but not a strong type, and I wear glasses otherwise can not see clearly. I need everybody's opinion about this issue: Can people like me starting at my age be successful in this career? What is the biggest challenge I will face if I decided to do it?

Thank you very much.
    You will have to consider the physical demands of welding in all kinds of positions. Pipe welding is an example. Also there may be a need to travel and be away from home. You can reduce the physical part on the future by becoming a certified welding inspector.

Default Thank you Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    I can give you a mountain of advise in one little word.

Alberta.

Never mind your reasons for staying in BC. Family, friends, whatever. If you can't make a go of it those reasons just aren't good enough anymore.
    I've heard a lot about Alberta that it is a place with tons of jobs. Acturally my plan is since I don't have any trades background so far, I will finish welding C level program in school then look for apprenticeship job opportunities in Alberta to upgrade to journeyman.

Smile Thank you Cruizer

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Not saying its late in life to job jump, I've done it numerous times. But it'll take up to 5 years to become certified as welder and the pay won't really be there until the 5 years is up..

Now what I do when I'm really bored, is go run a tracked excavator or jump into a semi. headed for who knows where.

Taking a course to run heavy equipment might be more up your alley. Lots of construction going on and these firms are always looking for certified operators.

Heck. I'm not certified on a excavator, still I get $40/hr to sit there listen to the radio and spin around moving dirt. Works out to $28/hr sitting behind the wheel of a tractor trailer.
    I am not that kind of person who usually can get bored with things. Actually I am a boring person most of the time. The heavy equipment operator idea really inspired me for a while because I like diving, but it seems need to spend much more money( $15000 for 6 weeks training) unless you find somebody to sponsor you. For being a welder, I just can not afford to find there are physical obstcals(like I can't lift or I can't see clearly) that could prevent me to succeed the carreer after I quit the job I am doing now. Also a lot thanks to Jbkinn too.

Quote Originally Posted by manwithresponsibility View Post
    I've heard a lot about Alberta that it is a place with tons of jobs. Acturally my plan is since I don't have any trades background so far, I will finish welding C level program in school then look for apprenticeship job opportunities in Alberta to upgrade to journeyman.
    PM'ed you...
    Cheers,
    Chris

PipePro350 SS,Pro300 SS,X-tremeVS,Dynasty200DX,MM251, SA-200 Redface,SA-200 Shorthood,SAE-300

I do industrial electronics now, though my former background is military in both Heavyduty, & light mechanics, Aircraft Engineer, and Avionics. I took up Driving just to do the Ice roads in 1999 & 2000. and heavy equipment operation to pass the time when I wanted to do something different for a while.

I went into welding repair after Canadian air died.

Depending on what you do right now, It may be best NOT to try welding as a career. Inspection maybe, but actual welding is not the best plan of action.

Besides nothing that you take for course in B.C, will prepare you for an Alberta apprenticeship. Unless you take that course in Alberta.

Default that's really bad news, Cruizer

I mean "Besides nothing that you take for course in B.C, will prepare you for an Alberta apprenticeship. Unless you take that course in Alberta".

The electrician foundation programs here in the lower mainland have waiting lists till september 2013. I have no trade experience at all, so I have to start from the beginning. All I have right now is my capability of learning,and it looks like very hard to get an apprenticeship just by that.
    Last edited by manwithresponsibility; 10-13-2012 at 10:14 PM.

So what is your job now? Just wondering why you want to job jump into something you have zero experience in, have a family to support, and being middle aged.

Trust me when I say that we all want to do something different. buy something, or build something nobody else has, or work at something totally left field from your present employment. Been there, done it, and the grass really isn't greener on the other side of the fence even after all the hard work to scale that fence