Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Please help A/C trouble

I am having some issues with a 180 sd. D/C works fine A/C not so well. The arc will spit and sputter about 3 times before it blows a hole through the aluminum, I had both scrs tested they are about 1 ohm apart from each other looking for some suggestions on what might be wrong thanks.

Had the same problem with mine, minus the hole blowing. High frequency transformer, and one capaciter fixed her up. Total cost was around $200. I would wait for Cruizer to pick your brain a little though.

which 180SD is it, a serial# would be handy. cause it works in DC, the SCR's are not a problem.

Default I'm sputtering too

Hey guys just joined up ... Hope you don't mind that join in on this thread but my 180SD is doing the same thing, sputters and I can't keep the arc from wandering. I bought mine used from a farmer in pa, works real well on EN and EP but the AC is killing me... 3/32 aluminum brushed clean, 3/32 green tipped tungsten argon flow at 20-25 garage door closed and all I get is spatter can't get it to puddle to save my life tried 5,6,8,and 10 cups all yield same result.

i read manual, checked all the settings and tried all sorts of combinations and nothing makes it better?
    My SN is LF119554 stock no is 907054

im a total rookie but did take the basic and advanced welding course at community college ... Can't get my teachers on the phone... I have a chance to make a few bucks repairing some welds on a buddies quad footrests but I'm dying here any guidance would be appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorge View Post
    the AC is killing me... 3/32 aluminum brushed clean, 3/32 green tipped tungsten argon flow at 20-25 garage door closed and all I get is spatter can't get it to puddle to save my life
    One possibility is that you may have a contaminated electrode.
    Try the brown ones first before looking at the machine.
    Green will work in a pinch but they're not as good as brown.
    Look for the word "Zirconiated" on the package.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    One possibility is that you may have a contaminated electrode.
    Try the brown ones first before looking at the machine.
    Green will work in a pinch but they're not as good as brown.
    Look for the word "Zirconiated" on the package.
    Matrix, I started with brown/orange 2% ceriated, checked with miller manual that called for pure tungsten so I called my local Gts welco guy and he said contamination go green :-) 1/16 out of the can, #8 cup amps @ 90 lit it up just about next to the ground clamp and sputter... Balled the tip up nice and clean but no puddle was gonna happen. Tried more amps and it balled up the tip but good and then plenty of splatter... Tried 3/32 green same deal... I did not try a new collet but would that make a difference?

i did not sharpen electrodes on two tries to rule out contamination, then I tried sharpening the 3/32 and I'm still the same. I am lighting up on fairly crappy pieces do scrap... But nothing too thick and its not really that dirty - I think I should be able to move around on a piece and get a puddle going at some point
    Last edited by Jorge; 10-18-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Matrix, I started with brown/orange 2% ceriated, checked with miller manual that called for pure tungsten so I called my local Gts welco guy and he said contamination go green
    Not ceriated, I said zirconiated.
    Not brown/orange, I said brown.

Quote Originally Posted by Matrix View Post
    Not ceriated, I said zirconiated.
    Not brown/orange, I said brown.
    Gotcha... Just wanted to throw that intel out there in the event someone had feedback about my efforts... Gts-welco is getting a visit in the am for the zirc tungsten blend that I don't have here... I will report back in the am...

feeling confident its the man not the machine or al least the component mix not the man so much...

feeling confident its the man not the machine or al least the component mix not the man so much...
    LOL! You said a mouthful.
    It's long been my observation that about 80% of welding problems are caused by operator error and only about 20% are caused by machine malfunction.

Default Noob to TIG

I've welded before, but only MIG & stick. Not a lot of experience but I can get by. I had issues such as described here. Fortunately I have a friend if mine who came over & helped me work through it. I bought my 180 from a guy who had it sitting up for a number of years in his wood shop. I took the torch a parts & cleaned it thoroughly. Only problem was I reassembled it like a moron by not reading up. I also didn't clean the inside of the cup either. Once that was all cleaned, reassembled properly & the ground buffed clean, everything worked just fine both AC & DC. Also a new electrode that's ground properly I've found helps a lot too!