Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default FNEWGUY grounding question

elementary question guys - grounding clamp. I get that it needs to be used, clamped to a ground - so generally the metal table/surface welding piece on. But - can you clamp it TO the object you are working on? For example - if i were modifying a hand truck can I clamp the ground to another area of it...? I guess one welding on a metal table the piece welding on is resting on the table...so...did I just answer my own question? (guess same would go for one welding on an enormous structure or mining truck..clamp to the frame/beams themselves?)

Thx for taking it easy on me.....

outside of this - what would a "no no" be for clamping the ground (outside of to the machine itself)

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    so...did I just answer my own question?
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by jfk92 View Post
    outside of this - what would a "no no" be for clamping the ground (outside of to the machine itself)
    Well, clipping the WORK clamp (better term for "ground clamp") to your earlobe and then cleaning the other ear with a live ("hot") welding electrode as a Q-Tip would probably not be recommended.

You can ground either way, i have a ground bar welded to my table, but i do not always use it for ground, each job is different, you should always ground closest to the weld if possible, if using the ground bar technique, make sure that the piece being welded makes a clean contact with the steel table, when welding with dc , the ground will on occasion, need to be moved due to arc blow, never, never ground to a shaft in order to weld up its casing,when grounding to the case, arching on the bearings can happen

Another nono that i have seen is, which is hard to believe that this has been done is to ground to the ground terminal on the battery while welding on a truck, ect, best thing to do in this case is to disconnect the battery and place the ground clamp close to the weld

You are creating an electrical circuit......any clean,direct path should be ok.
    You would not want to ground something where a bearing surface could be the path of least resistance,for example.

Anybody ever see a guy ground to the electrode just to complete the circuit? I haven't but ****....... That would be something.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Anybody ever see a guy ground to the electrode just to complete the circuit?
    Ain't that what we do every time we strike an arc?

just make sure your connections are clean, this cannot be stressed enough