Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    No, I think with all that there would be enough to make the springs start to work. If I was to rework mine I think I would pull the spring packs apart and put in the poly spring liner (available at street rod parts retailers). I would also think about greasable spring eye bushings. Those tend to fail a lot quicker than I would like. Since you are building new consider building the deck and then building a removable skid for the welder. Also make the skid so it stood off the deck 4-6" or so, this allows for materials to slide under.
    Thanks. Good ideas. It would be great to slide materials underneath.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

A flatbed trailer, that might have multiple different loads on it, I prefer dual axles, you have a larger sweet spot to get the center of gravity in.

A single-purpose work trailer, where weight won't vary more than a few pounds fore and aft, is better with a single axle. Easier to hook up and unhook, and move and turn manually if necessary to place it where you want. If you have to pick it up with a forklift, and set it somewhere or hold it 20' above ground, easy to straddle the single axle with the forks, not so much with a dual axle setup.

Unless you are trying to jump corn furrows at 30 mph, I wouldn't worry about the bouncing. My experience is that both portable welders and Harleys are designed to be PORTABLE, you will probably beat your brains out on the truck cab roof before the welder or bike quits.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

I would look around for used trailers first

For either of the 2 trailer projects being talked about in this thread

Kvwall, I would suggest starting a new thread- talking about 2 differently functioning trailers in one thread is gonna get confooosing.
    Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    I will be building a trailer to haul my 3 hogs on, i have many ideas on how to plan this thing out, any one know of where to find plans, i never use plans on stuff like this but with tounge weight, ect, plans could come in handy, also any one have any tips on how they would tackle this. I have built a few trailers in the past, with good succes, i am curious as to what you guys have to say. Thanks kevin
    Kevin,

You ride the Bikes so probably not new to you but those bikes like to scrape bottom going up and down ramps- just a reminder when building the deck height and ramp length.

Ed Conley
    http://www.screamingbroccoli.net/
    MM252
    MM211
    Passport Plus w/Spool Gun
    TA185
    Miller 125c Plasma 120v
    O/A set
    SO 2020 Bender
    You can call me Bacchus

Ed's got a good point here,,,,, it is much easier and cheaper to take an existing trailer, and move the load around, until it's right, and bolt it down.

Just in case anybody's interested, I've been buying all my trailer axles and parts from Southwest Wheel the last few years. http://www.trailerpart.com/

No free shipping, as far as I know, but more important to me is the correct part, in a timely fashion.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

yea, ed, i know about the hassle of using ramps, its the same thing with motorcycle jacks, i am looking for some thing used that i can cut, fit then weld together to make what i need, most people around here think that their trailers are made out of gold, the other post have shared some good web sites to check out, thanks for every ones help

hey I recently built a three bike trailer for a familly member. If you email me at couparclan@btinternet.com I will send you some pics. Mark

Default Lol

Your supposed to ride motorcycles not haul them.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

Ok, ahh!, let me stop and think about this a bit, the wife just bought a motohome so we can go camping and see the sites, which is great!!!!!!!!, but i would have to leave my 3 harleys home, if only i had a trailer, i could bring the bikes with me

Default Building a motorcycle trailer

I'd rather ride a bike than a wife. Wives always look better in the rear view mirror. :-)
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42