Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Building a motorcycle trailer

I will be building a trailer to haul my 3 hogs on, i have many ideas on how to plan this thing out, any one know of where to find plans, i never use plans on stuff like this but with tounge weight, ect, plans could come in handy, also any one have any tips on how they would tackle this. I have built a few trailers in the past, with good succes, i am curious as to what you guys have to say. Thanks kevin

I'm also curious. I'd like to build a trailer to put my TB302 on. Even though I don't need dual axles, I want them for a better ride. I also want shocks on it to smooth it out even further.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

yea, i gotta bone up on where to buy all this stuff, i know tractor supply sells axles, ect. but i know that there are companies who specialize in selling trailer parts, any clue where to start, i can google it, but i like to get info from people who have hands on experience. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kevin View Post
    yea, i gotta bone up on where to buy all this stuff, i know tractor supply sells axles, ect. but i know that there are companies who specialize in selling trailer parts, any clue where to start, i can google it, but i like to get info from people who have hands on experience. thanks
    No clue. I have a trailer mfg and supply place in town so I haven't researched it yet. I'm still in the stage of finding a trailer I really like and talking to the owner about it.
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

I'm a Rigid hitch dealer, Call them to find out where their closest dealer is.

When building a motorcycle trailer ( There will never be enouph tie downs )

If your going to build a fold down ramp dont forget to factor the ramp in on the tongue weight and make sure 10%- 15% of the trailer gross weight is on the tongue with the bikes on it.

So lets say the trailer weighs 900 lbs. and each bike weighs 800 lbs. on a single axle trailer that is 3300lbs total.

If your tonge weight is 330 lbs it will tow like a dream.

good point, is there any formula,s for where to place the axle, i was thinking of using only one axle, would two axles be a better set up, the trailer will not be very long, most likely about teen feet, for the deck, the bikes measure around 8 feet long, thanks, kevin

Default Help

Kevin,
    With you being on the east coast, check out Weaver Distributing, www.weaverd.com . They have very competitive prices and free shipping. I use them all the time.

Look at championtrailers.com They have a basic trailer design on their site. Figure out wht size deck you need and build it. Put it on the ground on top of a piece of pipe, park all three bikes on it where they go and roll it forward and backward until you find the balance point. Mark that as the center, then measure back 10% and place the center of the axle there.

KVALL, a dual axle won't give you a smoother ride than a single axle with only a welder on top of it. It will bounce around a lot. A single axle (#3500) will bounce around a well unless you put on a lighter spring.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Look at championtrailers.com They have a basic trailer design on their site. Figure out wht size deck you need and build it. Put it on the ground on top of a piece of pipe, park all three bikes on it where they go and roll it forward and backward until you find the balance point. Mark that as the center, then measure back 10% and place the center of the axle there.

KVALL, a dual axle won't give you a smoother ride than a single axle with only a welder on top of it. It will bounce around a lot. A single axle (#3500) will bounce around a well unless you put on a lighter spring.
    Thanks. I have the air-pak so my welder is about 900lbs with fuel and frame.

Then I want to build locking cabinets and drawers on the trailer. I think after I fill those up with cables, clamps, cylinders and other tools I could be looking at another 300lbs. Then there's the weight of the trailer with cabinets and drawers added.

This won't be a simple light trailer just big enough to hold a welder. It would be a heavy-duty (overkill) trailer. It would have some weight on it.

Do you still think dual axles wouldn't be beneficial?
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

No, I think with all that there would be enough to make the springs start to work. If I was to rework mine I think I would pull the spring packs apart and put in the poly spring liner (available at street rod parts retailers). I would also think about greasable spring eye bushings. Those tend to fail a lot quicker than I would like. Since you are building new consider building the deck and then building a removable skid for the welder. Also make the skid so it stood off the deck 4-6" or so, this allows for materials to slide under.