Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Thread: welding advice

Default welding advice

I need advice on over head tig welding, any hints/tips for a beginner for overhead welds?

What metal? And why are you welding overhead as a beginner?
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Mostly mild steel stainless and alumimun. Im not a beginner at welding been at it for 4 years now... but im a beginner at overhead welding

Default welding advice

Get comfortable, keep your tig hand steady. I find the product called the tig finger helps. You can find it on weldingtipsandtricks.com

Should i have any worries on molten metal dripping down when using filler wire? Also do i need a higher gas setting?

Default welding advice

I find tig acts the same in all positions. I use the same gas settings

Default welding advice

A wise man once told me the secret to tig welding overhead was to turn whatever you were welding over he said it's much easier then!!!!!!

Welding tig overhead is pretty much the same, Not much trick to it, Its more about you not being in a comfortable position.

Probably the biggest difference when doing overhead aluminum is to feed your rod from the side a little more so it does'nt heat up , melt and drip down on you.

Good luck, Its really not a big deal.

Beginner?
    Wear leathers!!!
    Drips can hurt.
    Also it wouldn't hurt to find some way of covering or protecting your throat.
    You know ... just in case.
    I've seen guys cut the gauntlet off an old TIG glove and pop-rivet it onto the bottom section of their welding hood to protect their necks when they are in tight quarters, lying on their backs and moving out of the way of a falling drip is not an option. As a beginner you might want to consider that option even if you can move out of the way.

Thanks for all of the great advice! Ill be trying it tomorrow