Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Best to just hang on to it for those outside jobs using 7018AC rods.
    Is that something that the 211 with flux-core could not do?

i know cruizer, he just asked a question, figured that an answer was needed, and no a mig machine can not be set up for a gouger, the gouger works off of the stinger lead from a stick welder, with an air hose fitted to it

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Is that something that the 211 with flux-core could not do?
    It's a 6 of one, half dozen of the other., All I'm saying is that the AC T-bolt will come in handy for those jobs where its a hassle to change polaritys and change wires back and forth. A stick machine in my line of work, is just as handy as grabbing a wire feeder. Sometimes I just don't want to set it up, when stick will do

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    It's a 6 of one, half dozen of the other., All I'm saying is that the AC T-bolt will come in handy for those jobs where its a hassle to change polaritys and change wires back and forth. A stick machine in my line of work, is just as handy as grabbing a wire feeder. Sometimes I just don't want to set it up, when stick will do
    Very good point. I have not done any flux-core yet and I forgot about the changeover.

So an AC-only Thunderbolt is good for only the basic processes of stick welding; nothing that exotic. But it is more convenient to use than changing over for flux core.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank R View Post
    Very good point. I have not done any flux-core yet and I forgot about the changeover.

So an AC-only Thunderbolt is good for only the basic processes of stick welding; nothing that exotic. But it is more convenient to use than changing over for flux core.
    Trust me, its really handy to have both at your disposal

You could not of said that any better. I think what happens when people start out, is that they just think of what is ahead of them for the short term, once they get started, they will pick up skills and knowledge, hence, keep the tbolt

Now that I know that an AC/DC Thunderbolt can do more than an AC unit alone, I am going to keep my eye out for one.

Here I am looking for another welder when I started out trying to convince myself to get rid of one.

But... I really need to start practicing my welding and build a few things first.

yea one day at a time, you dont want to put pressure on your self, here is an interesting fact, " it takes as much time to become a quality welder as it does for a person to become a medical doctor", you wont learn it all at once so just take your time and enjoy what you are doing

Default 211 and/or a Thunderbolt 225

Don't know why you'd want to get rid of the TBolt. I'm new to welding too and intentionally bought a 211 and the Hobart LX 235 which is a TBolt. My next machine will be a Diversion 180.

Other than more high end expensive machines what could I need? All three of these will fit nicely on the welding cart I'm building.
    ==============
    Miller 211 MVP
    Hobart StickMate LX 235
    Lincoln AC 225
    CutMaster 42

My neighnor, a journeyman with modest home/hobby stuff hasnt been down to weld something in 10 yrs but once for an alum zip since he bought a 175 mig. I might keep a buzzer I already had but the new mig isw the workhorse in small shops for general fabrication and repair. The rest of the stuff makes great dust collectors.