Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Yeah, and I'll bet ya those cars sold in China were made in China from Chinese materials, by Chinese labor, and on Chinese tooling. The only thing exported from the US to China was the technology... How does that help the US economy? Profits coming to the US? Don't bet on it.

GM makes 7 out of 10 vehicles outside the US. Speech by GM CEO in China.
    www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=Lvl5Gan69Wo

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Am I blind? It is not on the faceplate like all my other Dynastys. Is it somewhere else or did they just forget to imprint it on? Usually it is on the upper left hand corner above the readouts.

Not the biggest deal in the world, but for the money I paid for the 700, I hope that quality control could be a little better.
    If you have a newer Dynasty 700 the labeling has changed. The text denoting the place of manufacture has recently moved to the rating card on the right portion of the machine face.

I can assure you that the machine is still manufactured in the USA (Appleton, WI)! I have to walk by that production line every day on the way to my office.

I agree with a couple of guys here, if you realy look at it you never see a asian person driving a chevy or a ford they buy there own which is ok. I should be able to buy american

Maybe you don't see Asians driving a Chevy or a Ford but can you blame them? It gets harder and harder every year to justify buying from one of the big three. American made Toyotas and Hondas, built in America by Americans last longer on average, are more efficient and have better resale value than a Dodge or a Ford and many times the initial price is lower too. Not exactly a good incentive to buy American when you're from across the ocean and have no interest in preserving foriegn (American) economic interests.

You do see a lot of Harley Davidsons in Japan, Hong Kong and many other parts of Asia. Being ridden by Asians. You also see American made Fender and Gibson guitars all over Asia, including China. What you see that is American in Asia are the iconic products of the 50's and 60's and modern versions of those same products. They seem to be fascinated with that part of American history.

No country is an (economic) island. No country can thrive without importing and exporting. Protectionist trade practices only harm a nation. There is no benefit in the long run. To advocate protectionism is to be short sighted.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.Pfaller View Post
    If you have a newer Dynasty 700 the labeling has changed. The text denoting the place of manufacture has recently moved to the rating card on the right portion of the machine face.

I can assure you that the machine is still manufactured in the USA (Appleton, WI)! I have to walk by that production line every day on the way to my office.
    Thanks Andrew, but there is nothing on the rating label except a warning " Evidence of label tampering voids warranty", with a blank spot underneath.

The Serial # is MC170235L. Could there have been a bad batch of labels?

Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Looking at the serial number (tied to a manufacture date) it appears that your machine was made right during the transition period of the labeling. This would not be a drop in quality control, rather, it is entirely possible that the production line was utilizing the remaining labels. As a result there could have been a short period of overlap during the switch. I did check the machines coming down the line today and they do have the labeling showing it was manufactured in Appleton, WI, USA.

Quote Originally Posted by shovelon View Post
    Thanks Andrew, but there is nothing on the rating label except a warning " Evidence of label tampering voids warranty", with a blank spot underneath.
    Better send it back for warranty service! How can you possibly use it without the label?

The "Made in the USA" means different things to different people. No machine is entirely made in the USA, or final costs would be somewhat higher than you would expect.

It only takes 51% of Actually made in the USA product and 49 % foreign content to be labeled "Made in the USA".

That said, the 51% originates from other suppliers, who in turn use the 51/49% rule. So who really knows how much of the end product actually comes out of the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew.Pfaller View Post
    Looking at the serial number (tied to a manufacture date) it appears that your machine was made right during the transition period of the labeling. This would not be a drop in quality control, rather, it is entirely possible that the production line was utilizing the remaining labels. As a result there could have been a short period of overlap during the switch. I did check the machines coming down the line today and they do have the labeling showing it was manufactured in Appleton, WI, USA.
    Ok, now that is estabilished that I have one of those "Special" machines, did you guys relocate the country of origin label to make room for the interface card slot?
    Nothing welded, Nothing gained

Miller Dynasty700DX
    3 ea. Miller Dynasty350DX
    Miller Dynasty200DX
    ThermalArc 400 GTSW
    MillerMatic350P
    MillerMatic200 with spoolgun
    MKCobraMig260
    Lincoln SP-170T
    Linde UCC305 (sold 2011)
    Hypertherm 1250
    Hypertherm 800
    PlasmaCam CNC cutter
    Fadal Toolroom CNC Mill
    SiberHegner CNC Mill
    2 ea. Bridgeport
    LeBlond 15" Lathe
    Haberle 18" Cold Saw
    Doringer 14" Cold Saw
    6 foot x 12 foot Mojave granite

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    The "Made in the USA" means different things to different people. No machine is entirely made in the USA, or final costs would be somewhat higher than you would expect.

It only takes 51% of Actually made in the USA product and 49 % foreign content to be labeled "Made in the USA".

That said, the 51% originates from other suppliers, who in turn use the 51/49% rule. So who really knows how much of the end product actually comes out of the USA.
    My kids were assembled in USA from foreign and domestic components. (She didn't become a citizen until a little later. )