Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Mig Welding Techniques

Recently I helped buld a wood rack for our shop at work. We used 3 inch and 4 inch I beam and I think 5 inch for the base and upright. Anyway I desided to practice different techniques on the welds. Even though its been a few months since laid down some wire I got back in the groove real quick...no pun intended.

I guess my main question is...are there different teniques better than others for certain welds....i.e. pushing, pulling, a circular motion, a U shaped motion.

Yes
    2, XMT's 350 cc/cv
    1, XMT 350 vs
    1, TRAILBLAZER 302
    1, MILLER DVI
    1, PASSPORT PLUS
    1, DYNASTY 200 DX
    1, MAXSTAR 150 STL
    1, HOBART CHAMP
    1, HF-251 BOX
    1, S-74d
    1, S-75DXA
    2, 12-RC SUITCASES
    2, 30 A spoolguns

Fab....can you explain...please?

This Miller youtube video might help you understand the mig process and ways to weld different positions.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=DEDHR-Nst6E

turbo38t Guest

What works for me.......the best way to learn to lay a nice decorative/sound mig bead........get two pieces of 1/8" or preferably 3/16" plate and set up in the "t" or "fillet position.....Tack at each corner. I like to start with my welder at like 17-17.5 volts or so and WFS at around 175-210. I suggest starting with a drag/pull technique at a 15 degree or so angle from 90.....Start your puddle and going from left to right.......make a counter clockwise "loop".......so go up and over the top in a progressive motion from left to right with a VERY brief pause at the top........this should get you going with the dimes.....when you get better, more stable, consistent then the push technique will perfect this....Dave

Thanks Turbo(Dave)...when I was welding on the rack I tried a few techniques and just like most of everything I've read on here from everyone... The more you do it the better you get....towards the end of the job...I didn't realize what I was doing until I was done...and just laughed about it...my welds turned out pretty darn good...guess I was in "zone"or it was the muscle memory thing...sorry for no pics...didn't think about it till it was painted and filled up with the 1x's and 2x's