Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default C60 vs. AWS Certs

Looking for thoughts on the pros and cons on getting a C60 Contractors License vs. just getting certifications. I already know about the requirements to test.

I know there are insurance requirements and other costs to maintain a CL. But if there is more work available it seems like it would be worth it.

I've had a couple guys tell me that AWS certs are enough to keep you busy.

So, any thoughts about whether it's worth it or not to pursue a C60?
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

In California, a contractors license simply makes you legally able to enter into a contract, on real estate or connected to real estate. As opposed to personal property. California Contractors Law applies to any work over $x00.00, done on real property. If you do work, both labor and material, over this amount (you can easily find out the limit, just visit the website),,,, and DON'T have the proper Contractors License, the customer can simply run your bill thru the shredder, and refuse to pay, you have no legal recourse since you don't have the legal requirements to enter into that contract in the first place. Illegal contract. Not enforceable. Too bad.
    Last edited by JSFAB; 10-07-2012 at 01:58 PM.
    Obviously, I'm just a hack-artist, you shouldn't be listening to anything I say .....

JS fab Nailed it.

If you want to do field work and have legal recourse then you need a CSLB

I've had a couple guys tell me that AWS certs are enough to keep you busy
    If it was that easy everyone would run a test plate, work would come pouring thru the door?

Quote Originally Posted by Sberry View Post
    If it was that easy everyone would run a test plate, work would come pouring thru the door?
    Yeah. Wishful thinking.
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™