Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Question Experienced Advice Needed.

Not too sure if this is the right place for this or not, so I'm just going to go for it. The names Ryan, I'm a welder in the Army. I've got about a year left till I'm done and being that I like a solid game plan way before ever executing it, I'm starting to look into exactly what I'm going to do once I get out. Get all my ducks in a row, so to speak. Now first to say when I am finished in the Army I will have a total of 4 years welding experience. I would say I'm decent in all processes.So, My game plan is to sign up at a local trades school,brush up on things, do there 4 month schooling, and get as many certs. as I can. Then after that try to get with a union. I know alot of unions have "apprenticeship programs" and all that, but do you think it would be better if i went to school and showed up with certs. already or go through these union programs? or is there another route you advise I go? Greatest worry is just hitting the ground running, and having something solid that will help me provide for my family. Thank you for your time and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I've joined a half dozen different unions over the years. I would say your best bet would be Boilermakers or Pipefitters if you want your work experience to be well rounded and well paying. It never hurts to take lots of certs in with you but there is still a good chance they will want you to do something more for training and certification as well. In this economy unions are becoming pickier about who they let in. Skills and a clean look and a clear eye and a clear voice and sobriety are all assets but attitude can hurt. Confidence is good. Bravado is not.

My 2.

Ok, thanks for the insight. I'll definitely keep that all in mind.

Military pays well, why leave

Quote Originally Posted by cruizer View Post
    Military pays well, why leave
    I have other plans for my life. Don't get me wrong, The military is a great organization, I love it, but it's only a OK pay check for a Enlisted man and for the things we go through. I know I can make more doing the same thing on the civilian side of things. So instead, if me being away for 9 months means that I'll be making good money, and my wife and I will be living closer to our family on OUR terms. Then I'm all for it.