Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Default Aluminum chassis

Been searching for awhile, can't find much on duplicating a chassis with aluminum and carbon fiber. I understand steel will give me more stiffness. Personally I'm trying to perfect my cars chassis and up. I'm up in northern Wisconsin and rust sucks. Im not concerned about caging my safety, only the performance and the chassis handling the stress of high engine output and rough roads. I been reading n researching and preparing to start this project. I have a dynasty 200dx, Just looking for any advice.

Well some more info, I'm looking at doing this to 3 vehicles. 1st 2 are 88 toyota's as a trial n error for me with very little stress from the 22re. 3rd would be an Evo 9 which will require much better engineering to handle the stress. I know how to operate n have access to most fabrication machineries as well. I kinda already know how to approach this, but I'm only 26 with an auto tech background. Figured I get advise from people with much more experience.

Was looking at helping stiffness With injecting chassis foam stiffener in the tubing, but it would be a ***** to repair. I also understand I need to have a way(holes) to let the chassis breath after flexing pressures spike. Every source and book I been reading are base more on the steel chassis. Something did come to mind, would be steel reinforcement inside the most critical and stressed sections and melting rod in it filling up the rest with aluminum sealing it inside.

Sorry for typos I'm on my phone.

If I'm not mistaken, the Bugatti Veyron has a carbon fibre chassis, I doubt you have the technical expertise to try matching automotive engineering with a 2 million dollar car. The Audi R-8 has an aluminum chassis, but still, thats a $150,000car. You will get the most stiffness by improving design rather than attempting to mix materials (aluminum, steel, injecting foam stiffner?????) If you don't have the technical know how to properly design a chassis that has the right amount of flexibility and stiffness and rust prevention seems to be one of your primary concerns, how about having the steel chassis galvanized?
    Miller Syncrowave 200
    Homemade Water Cooler
    130XP MIG
    Spectrum 375
    60 year old Logan Lathe
    Select Machine and Tool Mill
    More stuff than I can keep track of..

Sounds like you are dreaming. Just for an example, SCCA and NASA and IMSA racing organizations will only allow an aluminum chassis and crash/roll protection if it has been engineered and subjected to crash safety standards. So this pretty much puts you well north of 100k pricing.

Also an Evo is a monobody, and has no frame, so your suggesting you could duplicate an Evo? I would love to see this...

Just remember, a fabbed aluminum chassis needs to be bolted or riveted, not welded. It will do nothing but crack at the weld seams. I like the galvanizing idea. Also, the value of 2 '88, rusted toyotas is all of about 20 bucks. You are trying to improve the strength, performance, rust resistance, etc of a car/truck that starts with no value. You put in Herculean effort, buckets of money, and are left with a car with about the same value as before. Not worth it.
    There is a reason that race car frames are generally made of steel, and these are people that have the buckets of money to play with

Aluminum might solve your rust problem but not your corrosion problem. Why not stainless steel?---Meltedmetal

Just realized this is way old. My fault for bumping.