Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Hybrid View

Default Old School Trick On Aluminium

When I was 15 years old at high school, I, like most boys took a subject that introduced us to the world of metal fabrication. The course had a great name too which I still love the sound of today "Manual Arts".
    Anyway back then I made an egg flip.
    The teacher instructed us to place a single twist in the handle about half way a long. I did as he instructed and was amazed at how art like it looked. He instructed us that the twist increased the strength of the shaft. Form and function, fantastic.
    I have never put another twist into another section since, but always remembered the trick.

Today I was really interested in seeing if this trick would work on 10mm or 3/8" square bar.

Yep it sure does.
    I thought it may shear off but no problems for the 6060 T5.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it

Looks good. if you have any material leftover. Put 4 pieces together. Weld the top and bottom. Twist. Just like you did then untwist before it cools.
    Miller Bobcat 225NT onan
    Millermatic 211
    Spoolmate 100
    (Retapped to fit regular mig tips)
    Work better & less parts to stock.
    Miller 130xp
    T/A Dragster 85 (portability 11 pounds)
    Oxygen/Acetylene torch set 50'
    2. 4-1/2" grinders
    1. 9" grinder
    14" Makita chop saw
    1/2" Aircat impact gun 900#

Thanks for the kind words.
    Already picked up two bundles on Friday to try what you are talking about. The square twisted bar was done cold. So will the next trick.

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it

Default Great work

Today I was really interested in seeing if this trick would work on 10mm or 3/8" square bar.

Yep it sure does.
    I thought it may shear off but no problems for the 6060 T5.

Ji
    [/QUOTE]

Neat,

Just Jim

Thanks Just Jim

Ji
    Grip it and Rip it