Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Threaded View

Default Workshop Hand Tools

I have found it hard to find small hand tools for my workshop.
    Just the simple ones.
    The ones that I use every day.
    I don't just work on flat plate sometimes its round and square sections.
    I thought I would share what I use to get the job done. I hope others will post here with what they have made to help around the workshop.

I have wasted heaps of time over the years just putting up with an issue but today I had to solve it.

Our drill press never seems to align a drill bit without us having to spin the drill 180 degrees than adjusting half way in both the X & Y axis.
    To find out where the problem was we turned up a length of 10mm or 3/8" diameter stainless steel rod with a 25 degree point.I placed it into the drill chuck and aligned it to a cross pattern I marked on some scrap ali. I then drilled a hole with a 5mm drill bit. The hole was off badly. I have a Jacob's keyless chuck which I know to be fine so I popped out the arbour and installed an old rusty arbour which I know to be straight. I then tapped on the original B16 Chinese key chuck and installed the stainless steel sharpened rod over another cross pattern.
    This time when I drilled the hole I found it perfectly aligned with the X & Y axes.
    The new arbour I stalled after purchasing the drill was bent or badly manufactured. The stainless steel centre point will be used from now on to locate the centre of a hole before installing the bit.
    This will save time and increase the accuracy.

Ji
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Grip it and Rip it