Miller Electric

Welding Discussion Forums

Home » Resources » Communities » Welding Discussion Forums

Miller Welding Discussion Forums - Powered by vBulletin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Ok so I think there is a lot more to this than the op suggests. 8 posts of 5x5 tube with 3/4" base plates & the labor is $10 grand? Something doesn't sound right.
    MM250
    Trailblazer 250g
    22a feeder
    Lincoln ac/dc 225
    Victor O/A
    MM200 black face
    Whitney 30 ton hydraulic punch
    Lown 1/8x 36" power roller
    Arco roto-phase model M
    Vectrax 7x12 band saw
    Miller spectrum 875
    30a spoolgun w/wc-24
    Syncrowave 250
    RCCS-14

Quote Originally Posted by MMW View Post
    Ok so I think there is a lot more to this than the op suggests. 8 posts of 5x5 tube with 3/4" base plates & the labor is $10 grand? Something doesn't sound right.
    Well, that doesn't sound like a whole building to me. Maybe that was just the heaviest steel involved in his project and he didn't mention the rest because all he's looking for is how big a machine he needs.

I dunno..... who knows? He doesn't appear to be coming back to monitor his thread.

"Not that I even believe in those thickness ratings anyway.
    Steel is steel. If you need more weld you run more passes.
    The only rating that matters is amperage and duty cycle.
    Thickness is irrelevant."

Spoken like a true idiot! Be sure to let all the pro welders know that they didn't need to spend 10-20K n their machines to build all those bridges/pipelines/skyscrapers/etc, a little MM211 would work just fine, just run more passes.

Spoken like a true idiot! Be sure to let all the pro welders know that they didn't need to spend 10-20K n their machines to build all those bridges/pipelines/skyscrapers/etc, a little MM211 would work just fine, just run more passes.[/QUOTE]

Bit strong, but yes multi pass are no substitution for volts that you need for penetration,
    Last edited by go2building; 10-06-2012 at 07:48 PM.

My vote is a engine drive rental you can rent a diesel drive machine for $250 a week I would get everything layed out and ready rent it burn it together and take it back. Even at a month for $650 you are still ahead of the game. If your biggest project is going tobe this you can still have get the rental and then buy your self a small mig welder. I would must rather be draging leads around then carrying a 60 pound mig welder with a small duty cycle.
    Lincoln Vantage Kubota diesel 30 amp spool gun , Hobart 210 with spool gun, Thermal dynamic pak master 75, miller 304xmt all mobile all ready to go.

(1) Yeah, I vote for plenty of amps/power. It is MUCH better to have more than you need than to try to "make do" with less and all the while you are wishing you had more! This also takes me down the road to renting the right tool for the job rather than buying......I think this kind of thing may fall under that ole rule about "If it floats, flies or f* (well, you get it), it is much better to RENT it than to buy it." (previous line edited to keep this clean enough for a nice, calm, quiet family rating)

(2) I agree......the OP says nothing about his skill level as a welder. FIRST, I'd be D*AMNED SURE that my skills were up to the task as the proof might just be when the building falls down around your ears the first time the wind blows hard. I'd sure hate to see something I had built heading back to KANSAS in the wind, Toto!

(3) I, also, wonder about that quote for labor. There has GOT TO BE more to the job than the OP lets on. Maybe the guy that pointed out that the OP only wanted to know how much ooomph he'd need for the heavier parts of the task is right, but it is hard to give advice when you don't have a complete grasp of the question/job!
    Don J
    Reno, NV

Never pick a fight with an old guy. Old guys are too smart to fight and get hurt. They'll just kill you and get it over with.

Quote Originally Posted by walker View Post
    Spoken like a true idiot! Be sure to let all the pro welders know that they didn't need to spend 10-20K n their machines to build all those bridges/pipelines/skyscrapers/etc, a little MM211 would work just fine, just run more passes.
    I never implied the little 211 should be used by large contractors to build bridges. I said it would be fine for him and whatever thickness he chose to weld because it was a hobby machine used in his spare time. Stop putting words in my mouth. Stop making assumptions. You are the idiot.

Default New need a welder

Now now kiddies. Can't we all just get along?
    Trailblazer® 302 Air Pak™
    Miller Dynasty® 350
    Millermatic 350P Aluminum
    Millermatic® 252
    Syncrowave 351

SuitCase® X-TREME™ 12VS

Multimatic™ 200
    Millermatic® 211 Auto-Set™ w/MVP™
    XR-Aluma Pro Gun
    Diversion™ 180

Spectrum® 625 X-TREME™

Thermal Dynamics® Cutmaster® 52
    Victor Oxy/Acetylene Set

Quote Originally Posted by kvwall View Post
    Now now kiddies. Can't we all just get along?
    Sorry. I usually ignore trolls and flamers. I don't know why I let this one get under my skin. I apologise for the anger in my response.

Default Dificult decisision so be wise more is aways better

Lots of advice of smart welders i see ; but the best recomendation i have seen is the iron man 230 package or miller 212 package this two are good for any skill level and will handle any thing they both produce high q welds in steel or aluminum;and when you are done whith your barn they also make good hobbie equipment easy to sell i hope this will help